NJCoastFlyFish

Later striper season every year for NJ anglers?

31 posts in this topic

I'm curious what everyones thoughts are about there being a later season every year?  I really started fishing hard in about 2000, so I have about 17 seasons under my belt which isn't a lot  and even then I thought the fishing was better in early october than it is now.  I'm not trying to start a global warming thread, just if the people think that maybe the season is being pushed back a bit from when they first started fishing for stripers in the surf for whatever reason.  

You are absolutely correct, I started in the late 1960s and back then October through early  November was the peak of the fall run. I was fishing for Winter Flounder at Thanksgiving. Times have changed. 

Posted (edited)

Ive Been Catching Many,in The Rivers in Jersey,Schoolies up to 25 inches.Waiting on Big Boys!!

Edited by DaveC
Too specific

Posted (edited)

Its definitley getting later. Like you said, I remember early 2000s the river and bays were filled with bass by early to mid Oct. In 2003 on Columbus day I remember 15-20 lb stripers feeding on bunker just outside of the Atlantic Highlands marina. Fast forward to 2016, our first real good bass bite was October 26th. It peaked around Thanksgiving, and was still strong through early December. I cant make sense of it other than this... our Springs are freezing and our falls are very warm. Might be meaningless, but seems to be a trend in the last 5 years in the Northeast. 

Edited by joefishnj21

14 minutes ago, TowerJetty67 said:

You are absolutely correct, I started in the late 1960s and back then October through early  November was the peak of the fall run. I was fishing for Winter Flounder at Thanksgiving. Times have changed. 

Now, you're still cutting the grass in late Nov. Weather patterns are changing. Why, I haven't been able to decide yet. But I'm sure humans are screwing things up. We always do. LOL

Not just stripers. I'm catching blues in the back the size that I would catch end of August early September. I'm here at the dock every day and have fished here in Wildwood for over 60 years now and for about the last ten years I have said this. It seems like our fishing season has jumped one month forward beginning in April. I would start chumming with clam bellies in early October because the little sandsharks and baby seabass would be gone my then. Now I wait for November because they are still thick back here and will be for some time yet.  

Posted (edited)

October used to be one of, if not my favorite months back in the day for fishing in the Shrewsbury and Navesink Rivers back in the early to late 90's. Ridiculous numbers of 10-20 pound fish feeding on peanuts and mullet, but sadly I think we wiped that year class of fish out with greed.

Edited by DaveS

I was still catching snappers in back with my son a week ago, when I was a kid they were gone late aug. last year I picked bass till 1st week of Jan , the ocean temp was over 70 on sat, that's crazy!! I've spent the last 2 years fishing C&R tog for most of oct. It seems a lot of guys are doing the same. Saw some big fish caught last year and released. There's bass but mostly small, at night ,  

Remember great nights of bass fishing back in the late 60's in July and August......that was before we screwed with the water quality, jettys and inlets. I'm sorry for the younger fellas today, they missed a lot.....

I guess water temps and bait location somewhat alter the timing of "the run"; both spring and fall.  But I can say with certainty, there are far fewer fish -bass, blues, weaks- and bait than there were many years ago.  Please pardon my overstating the obvious, but years ago there were fish and bait "all over the place"; especially out front.  There were clams, crabs, baby fluke, baby sea robins, small king fish, hard heads, etc., etc. in the wash.  Now it's dead.  The surf is absolutely barren of life from June through September.  That is part of the reason there isn't a pick of fish early in the fall season anymore.  There isn't anything for them to eat during the summer!  Another reason is, the biomass of bass is so small it is basically reduced to 1 school. Right now that school is in the RI area and it will eventually get down NJ way, or maybe not.  Years ago school after school after school of fish would come down our beaches.  These schools were decent size and the bait was plentiful and you could follow them from the Hook to Manasquan for a few days and then start over at the Hook and follow the next school down.  Not any more!  You get one shot at 1 school -which is basically the biomass- that is passing through over the course of a few weeks.  When that school gets here, be prepared to lose sleep because that will be the only shot you have at catching.  And it may not last long.  Well that's my 2 cents and worth almost every penny.  Good luck out there.

Posted (edited)

The days when so many flocks of birds diving off-shore made the sky look dark and cloudy on a clear morning at sun-up.......when schools of bass would pass by jetties pushing bait inshore then blitzing the beach.......today we post pics of one fish and think we're doin' great ........sad !!!

When was the last time you saw a starfish in the Jersey surf....this is the OCEAN......1 striper, 1 weakfish, 3 fluke, Saltwater Registration....we should be outraged as sportsmen and fishermen for what they have done to our waters, our coastline, our sport.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

We upset the natural balance of things. Either raping the target species or it's habitat or it's food source. Man is the only species on earth that could disappear without consequence. Everything else is codependent on another.

The surf is dead and I'm f**king pissed off about it.

Posted (edited)

Anyone who has fished for more than a few years in the Jersey surf and thinks the run isn't later and weaker than in the past just isn't paying attention. It's not all "oh what about the good old days" because we had amazing springs in the 2000s. However, now the amount of stripers (and almost everything else) is down while the amount of bait, the number of fishermen, and the quality of the area where we are fishing are all worse. It can make for a tough and limited fall run. 

Edited by stranded1

Posted (edited)

Amazing compared to what..........a weeks worth of fishing ....if the fish stay offshore, how do you know their numbers are down...told that by the same folks who demand you register before you can fish or who buried the jettys along our coast.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal