TimS

Fishing tackle is now excluded from the "no reselling" rule (Rule #4)

80 posts in this topic

As discussed in the other thread, effective immediately, fishing tackle has been excluded from the "no reselling" part of Rule #4.  ***This does NOT change the 'no plug flipping of recently purchased new plugs or the 'no commercial use' part of the rules. Businesses will still be required to use the Commercial BST Forum - if someone buys items through their business, they cannot resell them here. 

That means if someone finds a great deal on something at an estate sale, they can sell it here, even if they purchased it with the intention of reselling it. If someone gets a great deal on eBay for a box of plugs, they are welcome to sell them here. If someone owns a tackle shop - or builds lures - or assembles/paints lure bodies they purchased - they cannot sell their lures here...as they would be considered, obviously, businesses.

This is a brand new change, I expect there to be some learning curves and growing pains as it is possibly the first time we are removing a rule :) If anyone has any respectful suggestions or discussion they would like to add, please feel free to add it in this thread - thanks :th:

TimS

(****This has been updated on January 16, 2018 - new plugs recently purchased have been excluded from the items that can be resold here, see this thread:

Edited by TimS
Updated the rule change 1/16/18 - updated again 2/16/19 to clarify flipping policy

Wow, with such a big rule change proposal I thought I'd see a number of follow-up posts here today. I guess this was something that was expected and wasn't the radical change we thought it was. Or maybe people have been preoccupied given Las Vegas and the Yankees destiny to win another World Series. :)

I agree...I was expecting some discussion...then again, the BST Discussion forum is RARELY visited :o

Someone should start a thread in the Main Forum letting everyone know this is being discussed...maybe start the discussion in the Main Forum? :idea:   I'd do it but I'm on my way out the door and I'll forget by the time I get back later :blackeye:

TimS

There always seemed to be some sort of arbitrary time frame where asking more for a plug was acceptable over a newly acquired piece. I agree the plug builders get screwed by making their product affordable for people to actually use while the hoarders with deep pockets keep pushing prices higher. There's no good solution but it really shouldn't be on your shoulders to solve. I'm sure you have better things to do than concern yourself with the price of a painted dowel.

Edited by MitchellNJ

35 minutes ago, MitchellNJ said:

There always seemed to be some sort of arbitrary time frame where asking more for a plug was acceptable over a newly acquired piece. I agree the plug builders get screwed by making their product affordable for people to actually use while the hoarders with deep pockets keep pushing prices higher. There's no good solution but it really shouldn't be on your shoulders to solve. I'm sure you have better things to do than concern yourself with the price of a painted dowel.

I agree. It was already happening. Just not right away. $150 grs plugs a few months after they were bought etc. With the immediate flipping on Facebook and eBay already, I don't feel like it'll really effect the price of plug resales.

I like this. Sometimes there’s a package deal where I only want part of the package. I usually hold onto the other stuff or if i do sell it finally it is much much later. 

13 minutes ago, Pauleye said:

I think its a good rule change. Find good deals and passing them along to the SOL community is a good thing.

That's never been an issue.

I'll step that one back a little. There are tons of examples of great deals and fair prices. Buying a non-splitting lot of five plugs when you only want three and then relisting the other two for the same price as the original lot seems wrong. So does buying a $55 plug and selling it for $150.  Both cases of flipping but what can you do?

Can we call people out for their prices? If not, I have some luxury goods to part with. ;)

Edited by MitchellNJ

Tim already opined on calling out a seller or their prices and reiterated that will not be allowed. He is looking at some sort of numeric rating system for sellers so that those who seemingly price gouge will be identified by poor ratings.

My issue is when people buy a plug you offered here at a great price and turn around and try it sell it higher here just a short time later. It's happened to me a couple times, it just feels wrong, I guess the only solution would be to push for the highest price you can get? 

On another, different type of forum I participate in, there are no rules regarding flipping/ price gouging, though people are free to call sellers out if they have evidence of unsavory practices or feel seller is being usurious. Which oftentimes leads to further discussion as to whether its anybody's business what price the seller sets, and the circumstances surrounding aquisition and resale. In the end, seller's rep may be a bit dinged, which may affect future sales. The markets have a way of correcting themselves, as they say. 

13 minutes ago, AJL said:

On another, different type of forum I participate in, there are no rules regarding flipping/ price gouging, though people are free to call sellers out if they have evidence of unsavory practices or feel seller is being usurious. Which oftentimes leads to further discussion as to whether its anybody's business what price the seller sets, and the circumstances surrounding aquisition and resale. In the end, seller's rep may be a bit dinged, which may affect future sales. The markets have a way of correcting themselves, as they say. 

+1 

Two other rather large niche marketplaces i used to frequent ran this way, and as you said the market has a way.

one of them charges a yearly fee to use the BST.  I am glad Tim doesnt.  

8 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Can I ask what the motivation is behind the rule change? 

Easy now... I can’t get permission to sell the lures I make in my basement at a discount to the SOL members - but with this rule change, I can sell you a bunch, you can take your pick, then sell the rest here to members at RETAIL +... 

I'm good with that.

Bob ‘still confused’ Anderson