mathman

First Striper!

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My 6yo's keen interest in all things aquatic has started us on a fishing mission.  Over the last few months we've been studying and scouting for stripers, within the limits of shorebound Chesapeake anglers, without much success. 

Sunday morning our efforts were finally rewarded with this handsome 13-incher which, after all the perch we've caught, qualifies as a "huge fish" in my son's book.  The stripe took a 1/8 oz Kastmaster tipped with a bacon fat trailer.  My son enjoyed a scrappy fight on his ultralight setup.      

Next goal is to reach keeper size.  All our stripes will be "returned to their friends." Can't wait to get out there again!

Cheers,

mathman

FirstStripe.jpg

What area do you live in?

A great place to catch striper from the shore is Kent Narrows at night.

There is a parking on the North side of the Kent Narrows bridge.  On the west side of the bridge is probably the easiest to fish, but it's often crowded.   A GREAT place to throw a fly rod.  I used to use a small grass shrimp imitation, and you caught on virtually every cast on a summer night.  

Or if using a spinning rod, throw a pearl or albino 3", 5" or 7" FinS or Bass Assassin on a light, 1/4-1/2 ounce jig, depending on the speed of the current.  Cast diagonally uptide, and reel just fast enough to keep tension on the line, and you will get bit pretty quickly and often.  Don't let it drag bottom or you will lose it.  I usually find casting up between the pilings to be most effective, although sometimes the fish hang just outside the light line.  Cast into the light, and as soon as it hits the shadow, BAM!

On the east side of the bridge are restaurants, and docks.  Sometimes this side is best when it's crowded.

In the summer, there are a lot of small 12-20" fish in there, but in June, and September - November, you might lay into a monster.  Very often, because you are fishing for smaller fish, a 20# fish will grab your lure and torpedo for the pilings and break you off before you know what happened.  Quite the adrenaline rush!   And every once in a while, you will see a bigger fish landed there, 30-40" long.

It's been a long time since I fished there, but I have some pretty good memories of fishing there.  Great fishing, at times, especially for a young one.  He will never forget it, if you are there on a good night.

Best wishes.

-TH

What area do you live in?

A great place to catch striper from the shore is Kent Narrows at night.

There is a parking on the North side of the Kent Narrows bridge.  On the west side of the bridge is probably the easiest to fish, but it's often crowded.   A GREAT place to throw a fly rod.  I used to use a small grass shrimp imitation, and you caught on virtually every cast on a summer night.  

Or if using a spinning rod, throw a pearl or albino 3", 5" or 7" FinS or Bass Assassin on a light, 1/4-1/2 ounce jig, depending on the speed of the current.  Cast diagonally uptide, and reel just fast enough to keep tension on the line, and you will get bit pretty quickly and often.  Don't let it drag bottom or you will lose it.  I usually find casting up between the pilings to be most effective, although sometimes the fish hang just outside the light line.  Cast into the light, and as soon as it hits the shadow, BAM!

On the east side of the bridge are restaurants, and docks.  Sometimes this side is best when it's crowded.

In the summer, there are a lot of small 12-20" fish in there, but in June, and September - November, you might lay into a monster.  Very often, because you are fishing for smaller fish, a 20# fish will grab your lure and torpedo for the pilings and break you off before you know what happened.  Quite the adrenaline rush!   And every once in a while, you will see a bigger fish landed there, 30-40" long.

It's been a long time since I fished there, but I have some pretty good memories of fishing there.  Great fishing, at times, especially for a young one.  He will never forget it, if you are there on a good night.

Best wishes.

-TH

Thanks for the replies.  I did try Kent Narrows but it was during the day and we got skunked.  The current was strong so I had to keep a sharp eye on the kid.  Topwater, plugs, bucktails and spoons all failed.  As I understand it, fishing access was recently restricted and there's only one spot from which you can fish, and that's outside casting range to the bridge pilings. =(  I'll try soft plastics on jigheads next time though.

Cheers!

Thanks guys.  I think we did pretty well last year, and ended up with 10 stripers between us.  It's been a lot of fun scouting new locations and learning about the bay's ecology.  We're both excited to get out there at the first sign of spring.  Here's to a strong 2018!

Very nice... your obsession has begun! Enjoy as many trips with your son as possible, it's a great way to spend time together. I've been fishing with my boys for many years, and we enjoy every trip together!

On 1/10/2018 at 9:53 PM, linesiderdemdnj said:

I believe the pilings are only restricted after midnight but I could be wrong

All striped bass fishing after midnight is restricted 

On 10/6/2017 at 9:19 PM, mathman said:

Thanks for the replies.  I did try Kent Narrows but it was during the day and we got skunked.  The current was strong so I had to keep a sharp eye on the kid.  Topwater, plugs, bucktails and spoons all failed.  As I understand it, fishing access was recently restricted and there's only one spot from which you can fish, and that's outside casting range to the bridge pilings. =(  I'll try soft plastics on jigheads next time though.

Cheers!

Try latter in the day. They say that striped bass are nocturnal. I have had my best luck after sunset.

2 hours ago, dannpakk said:

All striped bass fishing after midnight is restricted 

At Kent narrows? Specific to the bridge area?

i think you aren't supposed to have a striper in your possession, like keeping one after midnight.  

9 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

At Kent narrows? Specific to the bridge area?

i think you aren't supposed to have a striper in your possession, like keeping one after midnight.  

Your right. Its possession of striped bass.