Tsunami Shield: So hows it been holding up for you in the wild

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

42 mins ago, Chuck730ss said:

Any updated information on this reel? Looking at a cyber special. Not going to be used as a main fishing rig. More as a loaner/beater/throwaway. 3000 size.

It's a great reel for the purposes you've listed. I don't think it would hold up to much abuse. Mine hasn't failed yet, but I hooked into a few big cownoses rays with the 4000 size and it felt like the reel was going to snap lol. The 5000+ reels are built a bit differently and seen much less flimsy.

Edited by C.Robin

42 mins ago, C.Robin said:

It's a great reel for the purposes you've listed. I don't think it would hold up to much abuse. Mine hasn't failed yet, but I hooked into a few big cownoses rays with the 4000 size and it felt like the reel was going to snap lol. The 5000+ reels are built a bit differently and seen much less flimsy.

Thx!

I just stripped the gears on one a few weeks ago. I had it for 1-1/2 years and it wasn’t fished hard or dunked. I did a minor autopsy to see what happened.

Anyhow, once I opened it all up I realized it is made of the lowest form of “pot metal” in existence. I believe this gear was defective from the get go because it kind of reminded me of a misstamped coin in appearance. To say there was evidence of water intrusion would be a huge understatement. This thing was super crusty inside, the grease looked contaminated, and the metal was showing corrosion. The grease was loaded with grit that was probably the worn teeth material. 

I will say that up until the moment of failure (which was instantaneous) it never felt like anything was wrong.......then boom

Would I buy another? Probably not, as there are plenty of reels in that price category to not need to keep going back to the same well.

It was replaced with a Penn Battle 2 3000. I have only used the PB2 3000 for one outing  so I cant do a fair comparison yet. 

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

It does its job. I have 5000 bailless. Initially, I had issues with snapped line and wind knots until I put on the conversion kit. Since then no problems. I really like that I had the ability to do that. 

I’m new to the sport. This was my intro reel for Island Beach State Park, LBI and Long Island. Lots of good memories with this reel. Has yet to fail me. 

Would I buy it again? Maybe as a back-up. I really appreciate it for what it is. It’s a true low-maintenance workhorse of a reel. I had no fear trying out surf fishing in a variety of locations, even my first trip to Camp Hero this fall.

If you’re from our area and looking to try out the sport, this is 100% the only reel I’d recommend (bonus if you can get a cheap combo).

Also for beginners, a 5000 size is plenty big to catch most of what’s swimming around these days at a lot of the beaches. It’s great because you can throw it on a 8ft rod or even a 10ft rod, super versatile. I actually cycle it between a 10’ Airwave and an 8’6” Trophy II depending on what’s going on.

Is it perfect? For me it was. Now that I know a bit more about what I want to do in the future, I think I’m going to invest in something at a higher price point (maybe VSX, VR, or SaltX). Tsunami Shield can withstand all sorts of dunks, but I’d love to be able to fish from the surf and reel under water. 

On 11/19/2017 at 6:52 PM, MikedNJ said:

I was just given a 6000 and decided to give it  the nod over my van staal today...was pretty impressed with it. Casts pretty good considering it was gusting to 45 today at the jersey shore. Nice retrieve and line lay. Did not catch anything on it but probably made about 30 casts and I’ll probably use it again. Took a few nice waves and seems perfectly fine!

This has really no direct response to your particular question, but I'm mandated to post, and here is my insight... Tsunami's roots were with their rods; Bimini Bay, under the radar, nevertheless... their price point per quality was unmatched in that era in my opinion (Think Ugly Sticks for you old farts).  Don't really know how to put it... I think their design team and engineers basically just evaluate well known working products and make them better/affordable.  I, myself, prefers the guy that specializes in one thing.  Regardless, Tsunami talkin' poppers, swimbaits, and rods are still a staple in any serious fisherman's penis pump selection.  

On 12/2/2019 at 11:57 PM, BigRedBearClaw said:

It does its job. I have 5000 bailless. Initially, I had issues with snapped line and wind knots until I put on the conversion kit. Since then no problems. I really like that I had the ability to do that. 

I’m new to the sport. This was my intro reel for Island Beach State Park, LBI and Long Island. Lots of good memories with this reel. Has yet to fail me. 

Would I buy it again? Maybe as a back-up. I really appreciate it for what it is. It’s a true low-maintenance workhorse of a reel. I had no fear trying out surf fishing in a variety of locations, even my first trip to Camp Hero this fall.

If you’re from our area and looking to try out the sport, this is 100% the only reel I’d recommend (bonus if you can get a cheap combo).

Also for beginners, a 5000 size is plenty big to catch most of what’s swimming around these days at a lot of the beaches. It’s great because you can throw it on a 8ft rod or even a 10ft rod, super versatile. I actually cycle it between a 10’ Airwave and an 8’6” Trophy II depending on what’s going on.

Is it perfect? For me it was. Now that I know a bit more about what I want to do in the future, I think I’m going to invest in something at a higher price point (maybe VSX, VR, or SaltX). Tsunami Shield can withstand all sorts of dunks, but I’d love to be able to fish from the surf and reel under water. 

Eh, I'd avoid the word "workhorse" when referring to this reel. Really cheap material throughout and a lot of failures experienced. Better sealing than anything in it's price range, but that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...