scoobydoo

Tsunami Shield: So hows it been holding up for you in the wild

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

With the reel being out now for half a season.

How has it been holding up for you guys that have put some time in on it?

Figured I'd start this thread since the original thread has gone 50 pages and a fresh thread may make it easier to find valuable on the water first hand experiences and feedback.

So what say you....how's she been treatin ya?

Stripers Online Amazon affiliate link to the reel

http://amzn.to/2xMalpX

My experience is negative. Right out of the box, mine was making a clicking sound when I spun it. It came from the rotor area. After spinning it a whole bunch times, it became much less but never fully went away. I could live with it but wasn't happy about it. Then I took it fishing and it was awful! The reel was so noisy whenever I had a load on it. Even just reeling in my jig, it made lots of annoying noise. It was only with a load on the reel. Not the clicking but another noise. It was pretty loud. After about 2 hours of fishing, I went back to my vehicle to grab another reel. I couldn't take it any more. I couldn't concentrate on my jigging with all that annoying noise. How can anyone fish with that.

Afterwards, I found out it was the seals under the spool and on the spool shaft. After applying much grease to both of those seals, I made a few casts. It was a little better but still quite noisy. And grease is gonna hafta to keep getting reapplied to this area too. I can't live with this. So I returned it after that one trip. Personally, I wouldn't want that reel if it were free.

Everyone wants a Van Staal that costs $100.  It doesn't exist. Stop dreaming. I fished with Van Staal reels for over 20 years. I know the difference. 

I bought the reel not for the waterproof part but because of the other specs. 

On a positive note, I did give that shield reel a vicious beating during the 2 hours I used it. I was into plenty of bass around the 50" mark. The drag was good but not great. I had it singing too. The EVA handle is nice. The world needs more of EVA handles. Bail wire is nice and thick. The reel was somewhat smooth but not Shimano Sustain smooth. The reel was  lightweight. Oh yeah... My 6000 held exactly 300 yds of Samurai 55lb braid. Well... That's all I got fellas. Hope it helps.

Edited by night owl

Got mine back in the spring for my son. First outing and the sideplate came off causing the gears not to mesh and ended up grinding the gear teeth a bit. It was dark and we didn't realize it was such a simple fix. Anyway sent it back for warranty and it got fixed and shipped back the same day they received it. New gears and some swag in the box. A+ customer service. No issues since then and my son tends to abuse his stuff, which is why I wanted a waterproof reel for him in the first place. He's extremely happy with it and I haven't had to touch it since we got it back. He had a bunch of big blues back in the spring. Nothing of any size since then. Yeah it's no VS but it's pretty much a no-maintenance reel. 

I have a 6000 and a 4000 that I use for beach and light tackle back bay fishing respectively. The 6000 has caught bass to 25lb and blues to 15lb and has been splashed and dunked frequently with no problems. The 4000 has absolutely done work out back and has probably landed 200 fish since April. Had a minor issue with a missing part back in May (lost a pin while cleaning and regreasing) I contacted a Tsunami rep and they sent me a replacement part for free the next day. Solid reels, A+ customer service, I am really glad I took a chance on them.

Not good. I fished it from may through the first half of June, and then benched it. Rotor wobbles now, and handle bent. Just fishing back bays for bass below 20lbs... Plus the tool to open the real.is a piece of crap

I am very happy with it.   I am always accidentally dunking reels while kayaking and I don't freak out when the Shield gets dunked for two reasons:  1) It's fully sealed, and 2) Its a 100 bucks!!.    I also worry less about losing it off the kayak because again... its 100 bucks. 

The handle knob is great, it is quite smooth, it doesn't feel flimsy, and I must say the drag is surprisingly good.  

I haven't experienced the failures some others have had, but I always keep in mind that this is the first batch of reels and they will have kinks like any other new reels even much pricier ones.  From what I have read on these boards it seems like Tsunami is helping anyone out that is having problems. So what is there really to complain about?

It is NOT a VS replacement, These gears do NOT look like they will last a lifetime,  but it is a damn good reel and I am thankful for it mostly because of the price.  

Edited by ER31400

9 mins ago, ER31400 said:

I am very happy with it.   I am always accidentally dunking reels while kayaking and I don't freak out when the Shield gets dunked for two reasons:  1) It's fully sealed, and 2) Its a 100 bucks!!.    I also worry less about losing it off the kayak because again... its 100 bucks. 

The handle knob is great, it is quite smooth, it doesn't feel flimsy, and I must say the drag is surprisingly good.  

I haven't experienced the failures some others have had, but I always keep in mind that this is the first batch of reels and they will have kinks like any other new reels even much pricier ones.  From what I have read on these boards it seems like Tsunami is helping anyone out that is having problems. So what is there really to complain about?

It is NOT a VS replacement, These gears do NOT look like they will last a lifetime,  but it is a damn good reel and I am thankful for it mostly because of the price.  

Which model?  The 3-4K models are not fully sealed like the larger sizes...

I have now fished my 5000 for 3 outings, about 12 hours and 20 fish. Have had fish up to 35 inches on it. I have it on the airwave elite 8'8,1/2 - 2 oz, with 20lb jbraid(330 yards fills the spool). Line lay is good, no wind knots and drag feels smooth. It was a little tight to reel first time out. Which is to be expected with all the seals. But by 3rd time out it felt alot smoother. 

I bought this not expecting a $250-300 reel for $110. Like all my gear it has been rinsed after every use. For what I wanted it for, spring back bay and fall off shore bay fishing. It fits the bill so far, time will tell.

Would I feel comfortable getting hammering by waves for 4-6 hrs. Targeting 25+lb fish with this reel night in and night out. Probably not, but didnt buy it expecting too. Also knowing if it gets dunked by accident, I dont have to take apart and regrease.

Just my 2 cents, tight lines....

31 mins ago, beret said:

Haas......... and you bought a $100 reel expecting what.......???????

I suspect, by his comment, he expected to fish back bays without the rotor wobbling and the bail bending after a month and a half. I've got a $92 Daiwa BG 3500 for that same job. It has seen it's fair share of 15lb blues/stripers, been splashed, and even dunked once. What have I expected it to do? Reel in fish, handle getting somewhat wet, and continuing to perform. This season it has done exactly that...and all for $92.

I didn't bother. I've heard their customer service is great, but I just benched it and took the loss. I'll hang on to it for when somebody that doesn't fish wants to.come with me. Because It's the only reel i own with a bail.