Brisket again

Rate this topic

JimW

10 lb packer just went on the WSM.  Full load of lump stacked, few chunks of hickory, 3/4 chimney lit briquettes on top. Let it go for almost an hour half vents, now wfo when meat went on.  Hopefully see 350 in a little while or I'm not going to make it in 5 hours.  Plan is to foil after a couple hours at 165-170 and push it to 200+ in another 2 or 3 hours.  Never use crutch normally but we'll see how this comes out. Last couple have sucked and I've read about how reliable this method is.  Got a rub of some commercial coffee sort wife bought and I used for no apparent reason other than laziness   

At 275 and slowly rising 

IMG_0788.JPG

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Got 330, hopefully hot enough.  People can get 14-15 lbers in there, must use a shoehorn   It's going to travel later to my sons.  Will take a pic if I remember but I usually get distracted by my grandson 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

So here we are at 170 after a couple hours.  Tough as can be still

IMG_0789.JPG

you should also try butchers paper,  there is a video on a naked ,foil, butchers paper briskets, all had the same seasoning and all cooked at the same time.  Different results for all.  You should try all 3 methods and find out what flavor profile works best for you.  Good luck.  My smoker just broke and I'm thinking of upgrading to a Yoder 640 pellet smoker.

5 minutes ago, mike3dr said:

you should also try butchers paper,  there is a video on a naked ,foil, butchers paper briskets, all had the same seasoning and all cooked at the same time.  Different results for all.  You should try all 3 methods and find out what flavor profile works best for you.  Good luck.  My smoker just broke and I'm thinking of upgrading to a Yoder 640 pellet smoker.

If I can knock these out in 5-6 hours will definitely try bp to see. Decided to cook this one at the last minute and foil in the house

7 minutes ago, JimW said:

If I can knock these out in 5-6 hours will definitely try bp to see. Decided to cook this one at the last minute and foil in the house

Not saying one method is better than the other, just that you should find out what you like best.  You may like no wrap, who knows.  Good luck

26 minutes ago, bob_G said:

I'll bet you're still looking at 15 hours.

I'll take the under on that Bob.  Just pulled and stuck it in a cooler.  210 and soft as butter.  Bigger question remains whether it's any good as BBQ or just another NE boiled dinner 

All in about 5.5 hours 

Edited by JimW

Not bad.  Not going into competition but I've made far worse brisket 

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

On 10/1/2017 at 0:22 PM, bob_G said:

I'll bet you're still looking at 15 hours.

I don't understand why people think brisket is difficuilt. It's easy: just cook it until it's done. It might take 12 hours, it might take 15, it might take 20 -- just let it go until the low-and-slow thing works its magic, and the brisket is cooked all the way. 

Maybe people think brikset is difficult because they're trying to cook it faster -- I dunno. But if so, this is a mistake, because Rule #1 of this nonsense is that you can't hurry good 'cue, and brisket is Exhibit A why (pork shoulders are Exhibit B). Just give yourself lots of extra time, and cook it till it's done -- that's all, and if you do that, it's usually pretty easy. 

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

I don't smoke them often because they're huge.  I need a result in a reasonable time frame or I've wasted a fair investment and disappointed a few people.  It was "ok" enough that I with cook it more often 

On 10/3/2017 at 6:26 AM, Belmo said:

I don't understand why people think brisket is difficuilt. It's easy: just cook it until it's done. It might take 12 hours, it might take 15, it might take 20 -- just let it go until the low-and-slow thing works its magic, and the brisket is cooked all the way. 

Maybe people think brikset is difficult because they're trying to cook it faster -- I dunno. But if so, this is a mistake, because Rule #1 of this nonsense is that you can't hurry good 'cue, and brisket is Exhibit A why (pork shoulders are Exhibit B). Just give yourself lots of extra time, and cook it till it's done -- that's all, and if you do that, it's usually pretty easy. 

I agree with this... I've never done a bad brisket or pork butt....Maybe some a little better than others...But that is usually because of the quality of the meat (less or more fat), not the process...I'm no pro, but I do take my time and don't rush it...

Butch