McReynold's plug?

Rate this topic

VanStaalSteve

33 minutes ago, XBMX said:

Back then most of the guys I hung with used Andi Tournament, me I preferred its softness

Yup, Ande and Trilene Big Game were the monos most used back then. Like I said it is not an unrealistic conclusion that he was using the tournament grade Ande. The problem with the debate as time goes on is that many weigh in who are unaware with how things used to be done. I was only a young surf rat at the time of the record but had the fortune to be tutored by some of the best of that era.

If it wasn't for him getting money for the fish none of this would have ever been a problem. But as soon as there is a payout involved some men turn into a bunch of jealous bitches because they didn't get the cash. If people cried about it, then maybe they should have been out fishing on a foul weather night 35 years ago. 

26 minutes ago, FunkyBunker said:

If it wasn't for him getting money for the fish none of this would have ever been a problem. But as soon as there is a payout involved some men turn into a bunch of jealous bitches because they didn't get the cash. If people cried about it, then maybe they should have been out fishing on a foul weather night 35 years ago. 

Yup. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Actually I don't think most people really care about the money that was involved. I think that Al himself was responsible for a lot of the skepticism involving the catch. His embellishment of the circumstances surrounding the catch certainly had much to do it. Maybe it all happened just as he described it. I guess your experiences dictate whether or not you believe the feasibility of the catch and the description there of. If it was a scam, it worked. Its over and done with ... move on. Get out there and catch a bigger one!

I would advise using a bit tougher lure in your quest.

14 hours ago, snookster said:

Tony told me that he invited Al, his wife and kids to his house across from Bakers Pond in Orleans. Tony told me the story that Al told him about the fish and how he caught it. It was a long time ago. 

I remember seeing Al outside the house he bought on Rocky Hill Road in Plymouth. It was a really nice house. I should have stopped and talked to him but never did.

snookster,

That was some story Al told Tony. I believe there is some credence to it. I spent time in the Beach Bar in Brigantine ( Al's favorite watering hole) and the "Home Boys" mentioned it.  Shortly after the catch, Al and his good friend and  fishing buddy Pat Erdman (who was fishing with him that night) had a falling out. To this day, Pat will not discuss the catch........ Why Not  :worms: ???

If you look into SOL archives about Al's fish you will read about one of our SOL members having a similar experience with a Big Gurl under similar conditions. I believe our SOL member that wrote about it.