VanStaalSteve

McReynold's plug?

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what Rebel plug Al McReynold's  used to catch the previous world record striped bass. I thought I read in the original account that he used an F-30 5 1/2" Rebel three hook model? I've since read that he used an original 5 " , 1 1/2 oz. windcheater  two hook model? 

In the mid 80's I was in Campbell's B&T where the fish was weighed in, they had one of the original mounts displayed with a F-30 Rebel hanging from its lip. The counterman agreed with me doubting the strength of the lure but said the story was always told one way (5 1/2in Rebel). F-80 makes more sence

In the original story and what McReynolds told Tony Stetzko was that it was caught on 5 1/2" lightweight Rebel. The same plug that I have had many times broken in half by 5# schoolies. Also many times I have had hooks bent anf split rings opened on this plug from fish that were less than 10#. He also used a Penn 710 reel with 20# mono. The 710's I have would probably hold about 90 yards of 20# mono. But ...

2 minutes ago, snookster said:

He also used a Penn 710 reel with 20# mono. The 710's I have would probably hold about 90 yards of 20# mono. But ...

I have the reel...it was given to me by Zim who purchased it from Al :)

As far as the lure being too light - I've seen bass inhale much larger plugs, completely...entirely. The hook strength no longer matters, the plug is in their throat, there's no leverage to open a hook or snap a plug. At that point the only thing that matters is that your leader is strong enough to endure the fight.  That said, I have no idea what plug he used :)

TimS

Believe I've given my read on this here on SOL before.

My memory is clear, that AL claimed the lure was indeed the 5.5" "light" / regular Rebel.  And yes I recall the reel was a 710-- but I recall he said it was on 15 mono...  which on that reel would =  say 160- 180 yards or so.

So,  point is: this is why I always doubted Als' story: 

EVEN decades ago,  before "custom" plugs... a 5.5" Rebel,  would have been a poor choice in a NE'ester w/ big water, on a NJ beach-- even then! There would have been much better choices in those conditions,  even then--  guess I'd have been throwing a Gibbs Deep diver... or, a 2 oz.Buck w/big trailer. Or a big Gibbs Blue Polaris... since the bait was Mullet that day?

Even back then/ "ancient" fishing times...  that Rebel would have been a dumb choice, for any "knowing" Caster then...   esp. if seeking "Large"in a Storm from a jetty!  (my 2 cents on this...)

11 minutes ago, RogueWave said:

Even back then/ "ancient" fishing times...  that Rebel would have been a dumb choice, for any "knowing" Caster then...   esp. if seeking "Large"in a Storm from a jetty!  (my 2 cents on this...)

I've read the story many times here but was Al an "experienced" fisherman?  The reason I asked is that if he was, he would have know that and if he didn't catch the fish he would have said it was on a plug better suited for the conditions.

Anyone know what happened to the plug?