Big Will

Daiwa j8 braid

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

There wasn't a lot of choices of braided line at the tackle stores near me so I decided I would give the j8 braid a try. I bought a spool of 330 yards of 50lb for only $20! I didn't have very high hopes for it at first but upon inspecting it it seemed to be very high quality. Much better than power pro and a lot cheaper. It packed very nicely on to  my 6500 slammer. It has a rounder profile than other braids and seems to be very abrasion resistant. It seems like a great happy medium between power pro and fire line. It seems to be better casting than fireline but more abrasion resistant than powerpro without the super waxy coating and stiffness  that you find on other lines such as tuff line xp. I'm looking forward to trying this line around the rocks to see how well it fares in situations like that. I did a few abrasion tests on it though and it seems to hold up very well. I've never been a powerpro person way too many break offs. Does anyone know the difference between the j8 and j4 as far as performance and abrasion resistance?  

Eight strand verses four strand... All new braided line casts well until they start to fray and break down... The only factor that I like about braid is the ability to feel the fish bite....

Well hopefully this braid holds up. It seems like it's pretty abrasion resistant but only time in the water will tell. I used to use tuff line xp 60lb on my surf conventionals and even though I couldn't fit that much on it still casted very well and there was no fish that could break that line even around rocks. The braid was transferred off of an offshore reel that had been used for deep wreaks and tile fish and that stuff never had to be trimmed backed it was indestructible. I wanted to try the 50 lb but couldn't find it anywhere around here so I went with this.

5 minutes ago, Big Will said:

Well hopefully this braid holds up. It seems like it's pretty abrasion resistant but only time in the water will tell. I used to use tuff line xp 60lb on my surf conventionals and even though I couldn't fit that much on it still casted very well and there was no fish that could break that line even around rocks. The braid was transferred off of an offshore reel that had been used for deep wreaks and tile fish and that stuff never had to be trimmed backed it was indestructible. I wanted to try the 50 lb but couldn't find it anywhere around here so I went with this.

J braid is good stuff.  THe patent ran out on spectra or something like that.  So companies can get it from other sources than honeywell., 

Hence why Daiwa, and berkley now have 10$ braids.

I've used about 1500 yards of the stuff.  Very pleased with the results. They locked up the price range for sure

I just hate power pro. Never again will I use that line. There's no reason that almost new 50lb spectra should break so easily. I lost a few good fish to that line. I don't believe anyone on here has ever mentioned izorline they make a very good braid too. For conventionals you can get the hollow braid and have a wind on leader that passes through the guides with no knot. Very good for surfcasting if you like a long leader but the capacity of braid 

Edited by Big Will

there was a topic about this Jbraid and after reading the feedback, i decided to buy a spool to try..

its great and quiet when running thru guide

the difference between X8 and X4 is that X8 is more soft and limp

for abrasion resistance then go for X4

in fact i change all my line to X8 Jbraid on all my reel

Edited by Tourstage

I have only experimented with the light 4X J Braid for freshwater applications and have found that it is much more susceptible to fraying than the 8X, so I am sticking with the 8 stand.  The 8X handles and casts great and ties good knots that don't unravel or pull. I have had issues with strands of the 4X unraveling and pulling away from the braid just below the leader knot. It could be how I am pulling the knots with the light braid, but I have not had the same problems with the 8 strand.

Edited by Jay Blair

I like the j braid 8.. been running 20lbs on my vsb 150 and it fishes great. Cast great, smooth , holds up as well as you could hope for in 20lbs test around rock and bridge pilings.. and cheap enough to keep it fresh all the time. 

Was using 8 in 50 lbs for conventional chunking sharks and liked it till I was coming back with strands ripped apart hanging by a few threads middle of the spool after few sharks.. guessing they were rubbing my line on shells or horse crabs or whatever else in there...  switched to j braid 4 50lbs end of season and it way more coarse and didn't cast as nicely imo.. didn't get to put it to the test to much on how it holds up since the bite was tapering off.. for the price it's definitely worth at least a try to see if it for you.. the 20lbs 8 strand is very thin and limp so not for everyone.. it's been problem free for myself but I could see it getting alil Wiley on some people  

I started the season with JBraid on all my reels. It is quality line but on certain reels it causes wind knots, especially if you fill the spool all the way. After numerous wind knots that couldn't be undone, my SSV 6500 ended up with the line a 1/4" from the edge of the spool at which point the wind knots stopped occurring. I fished with it that way most of the season but felt I was losing casting distance. I wanted to make sure it wasn't me, so I refilled my SSV 6500 with 30 lb. JBraid and went out casting. Again I got wind knots on every cast. Fed up I refilled the reel to the lip with 30 lb. power pro classic. I have not had a single wind knot and casting distance has improved. This same scenario played out with 20 lb. JBraid on my BG4000. I still have JBraid on my slammer 4500 which is filled to the lip and it works fine. As others have said in previous threads, regular JBraid is too supple for some reels. In my case the stiffer PP has been the cure but I think it was scoobydoo who said JBraid 4 strand is stiffer than regular JBraid. I may try that next year. For the record I've caught dozens of fish 40" or greater in canal current this year on 40 lb. PP without a single break off and more recently on 30 lb. PP on my plugging rod.

Edited by beerdoh

55 minutes ago, beerdoh said:

I started the season with JBraid on all my reels. It is quality line but on certain reels it causes wind knots, especially if you fill the spool all the way. After numerous wind knots that couldn't be undone, my SSV 6500 ended up with the line a 1/4" from the edge of the spool at which point the wind knots stopped occurring. I fished with it that way most of the season but felt I was losing casting distance. I wanted to make sure it wasn't me, so I refilled my SSV 6500 with 30 lb. JBraid and went out casting. Again I got wind knots on every cast. Fed up I refilled the reel to the lip with 30 lb. power pro classic. I have not had a single wind knot and casting distance has improved. This same scenario played out with 20 lb. JBraid on my BG4000. I still have JBraid on my slammer 4500 which is filled to the lip and it works fine. As others have said in previous threads, regular JBraid is too supple for some reels. In my case the stiffer PP has been the cure but I think it was scoobydoo who said JBraid 4 strand is stiffer than regular JBraid. I may try that next year. For the record I've caught dozens of fish 40" or greater in canal current this year on 40 lb. PP without a single break off. 

Jbraid x4 is much more stiffer then x8. I would if you usually fish with 30lb I would suggest to bump it up to 40lb as x4 is thinner then x8.