eddy

separation of church and state

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

maxine waters was at a church talking about impeachment of Drumpf.

so the question for discussion would be........ for the leftists here, is that a violation of "separation of church and state"?

I believe so. And I say that because it could be argued that she was speaking as a private citizen and not  a representative of any party. I don't really know but I don't like it one bit.

Actually, if you talk politics AND PUT FORWARD YOUR VIEWS DURING A CHURCH SERVICE, that is a problem.  However, if you use the church proper or its meeting rooms to promote political activity, much better.  Was Maxine addressing the congregation during Sunday services??  If so, that church could lose its tax exemption.

However, for as long as I can remember, there has been a wink-wink, nod-nod to black churches.  This is because they were the key rallying centers during the Civil Rights Movement in the 50s and 60s.  I just find it sad that black churches are now used to keep black people on the Dem. Plantation. 

BTW, my KofC council does a lot with Right to Life from our church. 

16 minutes ago, jkrock said:

Take away the church's tax exempt status for preaching politics. Didn't Obama want to record sermons?

I don't think Obama said anything about that.  I think you're remembering the lesbo, leftist Mayor of Houston who demanded to see all the sermons from the churches in the Houston area.  She and her **** lick sister were voted out next election cycle, I think.

46 minutes ago, Knight771 said:

Actually, if you talk politics AND PUT FORWARD YOUR VIEWS DURING A CHURCH SERVICE, that is a problem.  However, if you use the church proper or its meeting rooms to promote political activity, much better.  Was Maxine addressing the congregation during Sunday services??  If so, that church could lose its tax exemption.

However, for as long as I can remember, there has been a wink-wink, nod-nod to black churches.  This is because they were the key rallying centers during the Civil Rights Movement in the 50s and 60s.  I just find it sad that black churches are now used to keep black people on the Dem. Plantation. 

BTW, my KofC council does a lot with Right to Life from our church. 

35 minutes ago, hamlet said:

An elected public official cannot act as a private citizen in a public forum... if he/she is talking politics.

isn't that freedom of speech issue though?

if the government came up with a rule/law saying they can't do that, then why should elected officials get their rights taken away?

they are U.S. citizens like the rest of us and we are a "government of the people, by the people, for the people," so why should they be any different than us?

45 minutes ago, Knight771 said:

I don't think Obama said anything about that.  I think you're remembering the lesbo, leftist Mayor of Houston who demanded to see all the sermons from the churches in the Houston area.  She and her **** lick sister were voted out next election cycle, I think.

Ahhh. I think you nailed it.  thanks

34 minutes ago, JohnP said:

folllow the money

When the church can make donations to PACs take away their tax exempt status

why?

why should they be any different than all the other Americans?

why discriminate?