The Riddler

Kayak Fisherman Lost In Saugus / Revere MA

33 posts in this topic

Happened yesterday up by my way search went into the night and resumed again this morning.  A 72 year old took his Old Town PDL out from a calm back water area in the Saugus River and came out towards the mouth of the river where it mixes into the Atlantic by Revere MA and Nahant. He was seen by another kayak fisherman coming home from work around the 1-2pm time frame and also seen by another witness at a Yacht Club at the mouth. Both witnesses felt it was too gnarly to be out there. With the Northeast Wind and ocean swells yesterday even us experts wouldn't want to venture out into that. Had to be 3' chop, plus outgoing tide into a northeast wind from 20-30knots and a SE swell from approaching storm. He was found this morning in my home waters in the surf by an alert state Trooper was searching the beaches looking for him. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/20/missing-kayaker-saugus-river-search-craig-dustin-senior/

saugus kayak fiserhman.jpg

Edited by The Riddler

I too hate reading situations like this and feel for the family. That said, he was somewhat of a moron for going out in that stuff. He thoughtlessly put himself and first responders in a bad situation.

The conditions looks like the culprit but let's keep an eye out on ME report.  

Even so, if the fisherman had a medical event the conditions are not going to help the situation. 

May well be that he beached to wait out the storm and an unrelated medical event occurred. Condolences to the family, at least he went out doing what he enjoyed.

image.jpeg

A sad and tragic story indeed.  Sucks.  

I read several news reports where it was stated that he "always" wore his PFD.  Further, since the PDF was found close to his body, it is believed by those that found him, that he was wearing it.  If he was in fact wearing one, I wonder how it could have come off??   Doesn't make sense.  I know once zipped up, there is no way mine would come off (a USCG type III).

12 minutes ago, Africaster said:

May well be that he beached to wait out the storm and an unrelated medical event occurred. Condolences to the family, at least he went out doing what he enjoyed.

image.jpeg

Hmmmmm................. Interesting P.O.V you have there ;)

The article technically does not say they pulled his body out of the water, only a life jacket was nearby as was his kayak......

38 minutes ago, Africaster said:

image.jpeg

That's  a great point.  His PDL drive is missing or hidden from the coast guard picture. Lot of thieves around there to come up on a kayak and try to take it. 

28 minutes ago, BillZ said:

Hmmmmm................. Interesting P.O.V you have there ;)

The article technically does not say they pulled his body out of the water, only a life jacket was nearby as was his kayak......

“At approximately 11 a.m. a Massachusetts State Trooper searching the rocky coastline just south of the location of the kayak made visual observation of a deceased body in the rough surf. The body matched the physical and clothing descriptions of Mr. Dustin and is believed to be him.

20 minutes ago, The Riddler said:

“At approximately 11 a.m. a Massachusetts State Trooper searching the rocky coastline just south of the location of the kayak made visual observation of a deceased body in the rough surf. The body matched the physical and clothing descriptions of Mr. Dustin and is believed to be him.

I only read the article you posted.............. you must have gotten that elsewhere.

Sad all the same.........

Best Regards

Edited by BillZ