scoobydoo

2017 New Berkley fireline Ultra 8.....Original fireline fused upgraded...thread has been updated with some KBS and ABS

Rate this topic

184 posts in this topic

Ordered some 14lb and 6lb.....looking forward to putting it through it's paces

Currently cheaper than the original through this link

http://amzn.to/2y41OjF

Anyone else use it yet?  Package rated diameters are the same..hoping the ABS is

Ultra 8  (((looks like a whoopsie on the 14lb mm diameter should be .2286))

Line Dia. 6lb 8lb 10lb 14lb 17lb 20lb 30lb
Inches .006 .007 .008 .009 .011 .012 .015
Millimeters .152 .178 .203 .286 .28 .305 .38

Original fireline fused

Line Diameter 6lb 8lb 10lb 14lb 20lb 30lb
Inches .006 .007 .008 .009 .012 .015
Millimeters .15 .17 .20 .22 .30 .38

Line Diameter6lb8lb10lb14lb20lb30lbInches.006.007.008.009.012.015Millimeters.15.17.20.22.30.38

PRODUCT MARKETING JARGON

The toughest, smoothest Fireline ever, the Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline Crystal delivers all of the incredible, strength, reliability, and toughness that anglers have come to expect from Fireline – and then some. By applying Berkley’s advanced Fireline process to fuse an 8-carrier Dyneema fiber braid, the Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline Crystal delivers 4X as much abrasion-resistance as the original.

Smoother and rounder, the Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline Crystal provides more consistent line structure that stacks evenly on to the spool for increased handling. Casting 10% further than the original Fireline, the Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline Crystal provides a revolutionary new construction that simply outperforms the competition.

Features:

-Tougher, 4x more abrasion resistant than original Fireline
-Rounder- more consistent line structure – stacks and handles better
-Smoother – high pic count, 8-carrier delivers increased smoothness
-Casting distance – up-to 10% further than original Fireline

Edited by scoobydoo

Definitely interested in this as well... just now coming onto the market, so I'm planning on testing it out this fall/winter season. 

Looking forward to to hearing your opinion on it going forward, Scooby.

I'm curios if it's gonna be as slick as nanofil....but knot and hold up like og fireline...if that's the case.....that's pretty significant

im hoping to try this   i'm using original 20 lb and i notice my casting distance is horrible compared to powerpro,   If i didnt have such bad luck with PP breaking  i would go back to it just for reach.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm curios if it's gonna be as slick as nanofil....but knot and hold up like og fireline...if that's the case.....that's pretty significant

Good info Scoob........this is all i use and now, for it to be improved......i'm just a tad psyched !

Let me ask, when will this be available??

Scoob - the diameters in your two charts are pretty much identical - is that a mistake? If it's not a mistake...then what's the significance of a new line with the same diameter of the old line?

15 minutes ago, yogiiiboy said:

Good info Scoob........this is all i use and now, for it to be improved......i'm just a tad psyched !

Let me ask, when will this be available??

I bought mine from tw

Tackle direct has it as well

1 minute ago, TimS said:

Scoob - the diameters in your two charts are pretty much identical - is that a mistake? If it's not a mistake...then what's the significance of a new line with the same diameter of the old line?

Yup on their charts they are the same.  Just like how people went from power pro to super slick...same kinda deal.   Only it's fireline so hoping it may be tough as nails

The old fireline was a loosely woven 4 strand braid.  Very non uniform.  

The new one is a higher pick more densley woven 8 carrier braid

Have you ever used nanofil??? or gliss?  Those two lines cast further than anything made.   Probably casts further than if you broke off (since the resistance keeps it flying straighter)But they are fragile and don't knot well with standard knots.

If this stuff is as slick as those two and it knots well....That could be a game changer.  

If you could throw a pencil 100 yards with 30lb braid....you could easily hit 125 with 40lb gliss

THis stuff could suck....but if it performs better than original fireline accross the board....it could make it one of the best all around lines period.

Speculating a bit...but if it's smoother with a denser more uniform weave it may not fuzz up as much and last even longer

I like Fireline...my issues with it have nothing to do with it fuzzing up, they have to do with it's stiffness. If this tighter weave is less stiff (which seems counter intuitive) I agree, that would be wonderful.

Never used Gliss or Nanofil - I've been using Spiderwire Stealth Invisibraid since the spring and love it...but that would be a different topic :)

I do love my 4# and 6# Fireline...I only wish it were a little less stiff :)

TimS

I wonder if it's as vastly underrated as far as breaking strength as the old stuff.( atleast The 30 was).  The 4x more abrasian resistant claim interests me. The original stuff is pretty good around rocks, better than spectra. So if this stuff is even better around them and casts better  it may be worth picking up a spool of the 30lb.  

Way ahead of you buddy. I got 4lb for my mini pond bass spinner and 8lb for my inshore setups on the way as we speak. I ordered it in lower lb tests thinking it's rated similarly to regular fireline. I hope I'm right.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I bought mine from tw

Tackle direct has it as well

Great...i'll mosey on in and have it spooled on the SlammerIII 4500..........Thanks for the info......

8 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Way ahead of you buddy. I got 4lb for my mini pond bass spinner and 8lb for my inshore setups on the way as we speak. I ordered it in lower lb tests thinking it's rated similarly to regular fireline. I hope I'm right.

Cool!

I went with 6 for general duty fw.  Hoping to find a cheaper replacement to fins 40g

and hoping same as you to replace 30/40 with the FL 14 on one of my surf setups.

Keep me posted on how you like it.

Edited by scoobydoo

3 minutes ago, yogiiiboy said:

Great...i'll mosey on in and have it spooled on the SlammerIII 4500..........Thanks for the info......

Nice!!  Report back!

No prob!

43 minutes ago, TimS said:

I like Fireline...my issues with it have nothing to do with it fuzzing up, they have to do with it's stiffness. If this tighter weave is less stiff (which seems counter intuitive) I agree, that would be wonderful.

Never used Gliss or Nanofil - I've been using Spiderwire Stealth Invisibraid since the spring and love it...but that would be a different topic :)

I do love my 4# and 6# Fireline...I only wish it were a little less stiff :)

TimS

See....that's where personal preference kicks in.

I like stiffer wirey braids.  Which is why i'm still 300000000 casts later so amazed at fins 40g as it's retained that slight memory.

I hope it is the same as the nanofil which kind of keeps it's shape but isn't stiff.

Either way...it's shiney and new....so gotta have it..lol