BrokeOff

SUP vs Tin Boat vs Whaler

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I have a few sand flats/mud flats within 20 minutes of my house and lots of beaches and rocky coast within five minutes.

I have had my sights set on a L2Fish paddleboard for about a year now.  I just got to the point where I can pull the trigger and I'm getting cold feet.  Part of the issue is that these can't be purchased used so if I ever change my mind it will be a big hit.  The board is expensive and to rig it for the flats it might cost another grand (power pole, adjustable kayak seat, platform, fish finder (for off the flats)).  Once I get to this point I realize I could get a 15' - 16' tin boat or whaler to cover a lot more ground.  The same could be said for a Hobie.

That is the cost side of it.  Then there are other practical issues like ability to launch, desired fishing method, storage, etc.  I do a fair amount of night fishing and I don't think I'll want to launch and rinse every night.  I also have a 2.5 year old and an 8 month old.  I will probably fish with them in a real boat much less than I plan.

Before anyone purchased an expensive Hobie or SUP did they compare them to these other options?  I just want to think this all the way through.

If I were in your position, I would get the whaler. Long term, esp once the kids are older, I would get more use out of the whaler, whether it's for fishing or just cruising around. Plus the weather plays much more of a factor on a SUP. With a son of my own, time is money, so I go when I can, and if the wind is whipping, I could still get out in a whaler. 

I've got a SUP and a tin boat.  if you have somewhere to launch a tin boat its a no brainer.  

We've got a short season up here, I'd get a boat then a SUP down the road.

Whalers are overrated and over-priced but that's debate for another day.(i"m a former whaler owner)

Edited by sagamoron

Yeah, I was dead set on the SUP then I saw an old pic of a guy poling a tin boat and standing on the motor.

I realized I could probably blind cast the rocks and hit a flat in the same day.

Edited by BrokeOff

3 hours ago, sagamoron said:

I've got a SUP and a tin boat.  if you have somewhere to launch a tin boat its a no brainer.  

We've got a short season up here, I'd get a boat then a SUP down the road.

Whalers are overrated and over-priced but that's debate for another day.(i"m a former whaler owner)

What do you run for a tin boat? Just curious.

Forget the whaler and the paddle board. If you can swing a 14-16ft tin boat go that way. Whaler is overpriced junk and the paddle board is just way to much work and limited abilities. 

Or pick anything self bailing in your budget, even a Carolina skiff 19 can be found for short money and get you on more fishing options. 

With kids that age fishing time will be at a premium for a while. 20 minutes to get to flats, 20 back is 40 minutes of travel time, then you have to paddle out., If you have water 5 minutes away optimize that. On my lake house I have a canoe, a powerboat, a few kayaks and a tin boat with a trolling motor. 90% of the time the tinny gets the nod, it's just easier. I put some plywood down on the sole and it keeps the noise down. Plus with a tin you don't need a ton of HP to get it going...

18 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

Part of the issue is that these can't be purchased used so if I ever change my mind it will be a big hit.  

Out of curiosity what do you mean these can't be purchased used? The manufacturer restricts the resale? I would imagine given their popularity that you could get pretty close to MSRP if you decide to unload it to someone else.

17 minutes ago, capefish4231 said:

Out of curiosity what do you mean these can't be purchased used? The manufacturer restricts the resale? I would imagine given their popularity that you could get pretty close to MSRP if you decide to unload it to someone else.

The L2Fish is a fairly new company and volume is tiny.  I can chose from hundreds of Hobies, Whalers and tin boats.  

I just know when I buy and sell used rods and reels I'm losing shipping and eBay fees.  I bought a touring SUP and got HAMMERED on the resale.  I got less than half of retail.

I can buy a tin boat on CL and sell 3 years later for most of my original purchase price.

With all that said, the point of buying this rig is to get out in the water and have fun.  The main focus isn't resale value, but it's something to consider.

1 hour ago, stormy monday said:

With kids that age fishing time will be at a premium for a while. 20 minutes to get to flats, 20 back is 40 minutes of travel time, then you have to paddle out., If you have water 5 minutes away optimize that. On my lake house I have a canoe, a powerboat, a few kayaks and a tin boat with a trolling motor. 90% of the time the tinny gets the nod, it's just easier. I put some plywood down on the sole and it keeps the noise down. Plus with a tin you don't need a ton of HP to get it going...

And some guys modify theirs to be a flats boat with casting and poling platforms.

I'd go with tin also.

I had a 15ft Whaler, bought it used a few years ago., 15 ft super sport. Overall, I was pleased with it. Stable at rest it made a good casting platform but was not very comfortable while operating. I think the smaller models were built for kids,IMHO. Also, there are a number of issues regarding older whaler hulls which can be a topic in of itself. Buyer beware. 

I currently have a used Lund Alaskan,40 HP Honda. I prefer the tin . Easy to tow and launch, built in fuel tank, stable. I can fish almost when ever I want too. I can get back quickly  if I have too to. Nice to be able to sit down, move around. which I could not do in the whaler. SUP is way to restrictive, comfort , safety, weather wise for me.

Edited by Fly Time