Steve in Mass

How Much of Your Life is Wasted Waiting For Other People to Do Their Job?

Rate this topic

118 posts in this topic

Today I realized this, cause it was an especially revealing day.

Fortunately, for the first 3 hours of my workday, I just drive to make deliveries and pickups that are totally under my control (I have the keys to the lock boxes, and am doing this when everyone else is :snr: )

But then........My last pickup at 5:15 or so, I ring the bell, and have to wait for someone to get off their arse to answer the door.....can sometimes take 5 minutes and ringing the bell multiple times.

And today, they other thing I pick up there is usually on a rack as I walk in no later than 5:10..........today, I had to sit and wait until 5:45 for the guy to do his job..........

Whatever, it happens.

I then go to "home base" and I have another 2 1/2 hours in which I can do what I need to do without having to wait on anyone else.

And then for the last hour or so, first I have to "wait" on the lady in the mailroom to have the mail ready. Then I go to the Post Office, and I have to wait for them to answer the back pickup door. (And you know what they say about postal workers.... ;) .....nah, the ones that are good are great, but the ones that aren't, well............. and the Dedham PO seems to have a lot of the latter lately....)

And finally I am done for the day.....but...........

Just now, Mokes said:

Because, the world revolves around you.

Not the people doing the actual work, the delivery driver's needs must be accounted for!!

But wait....there's more.

So from there I go to my PCP office to have my INR (blood clotting level) checked....this check takes perhaps 90 seconds, is exactly like checking your blood sugar level which those with diabetes know about. My appointment is at 10:30, which as is my practice I arrive about 10 minutes early.

And I wait in the waiting room until 10:50, even though there were no other patients in the office...........

Finally get in the room, and the dummy technician is playing with the meter and can't get it to work. She asks me to wait a "minute".........ten minutes later, it turns out it is a brand new meter that has not been calibrated, and she had to go to another office across the lobby to get theirs.........

I FINALLY get out of there at about 11:12, with information that I already knew............

BUT WAIT, THERE'S...........................

Yeah, whatever....I am the one working, they are the ones slacking..................

Now go away (and perhaps get BACK TO WORK!)

Edited by Steve in Mass

So, I left the office, and had to make a few more stops for various things. I finally get to my last task, Rite Aid to pick up some scripts.

Now, I had needed to have a script renewed as I was out of refills, and I anticipated this last Thursday, leaving enough medication to last until today. Yesterday I called Rite Aid to re-fill another script that was out of refills, and while I did that, checked on the one I called in LAST THURSDAY. The Dr. had responded yet.

So when I was at his office, I told them I needed the two filled and the one that I had called to the Pharmacy LAST THURSDAY was urgent and that I would be at Rite Aid in about 2 hours or so.

The lady confirmed that the one I had called in on MONDAY had been sent, but the other one hadn't. I stressed that I would be there in to hours, and she said, "Well, she MIGHT get to it by then..."

So I'll let you guess...........................

Just now, Sparky said:

I'm a project manager.

My job description is making sure people think I am a tool. All I really care about is skiffing with Petey.

You never call.....

It wasn't here when I got to Rite Aid..........

So now I have to wait more.......................for someone to get off their ****ing smart phone and DO THEIR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then waste MORE of my time tomorrow.

fortunately, the Pharmacist was able to give my 2 days worth to hold me over.............until the woman at the doctors office get s off her fat arse and DOES HER JOB.............

13 minutes ago, Tom T said:

Not the people doing the actual work, the delivery driver's needs must be accounted for!!

How about when you're trying to do work and someone keeps banging on the door so you have to stop writing code, answer the door, and start all over again because you lost your train of thought.  

Okay rant over...almost.

All that I know is that no matter what type of job you have, you have "customers"....no, there are not always like retail customers, or contractor's customers, or service customers......

Sometimes your "customers" are your co-workers or associates.....

And I have ALWAYS< ALWAYS< ALWAYS been of the mindset that the customer comes first, and you do everything in your power tto deliver your "product" in a friendly, efficient, pleasant, and TIMELY manner.

So call me a jerk, but is it really all that out of line to expect the same in return?