WoodyCT

Albies from the Surf - Rod Suggestions?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a rod to fire epoxy jigs at albies as they race up and down the RI beaches.  

Needs to balance with a Penn SSV 4500 and throw 1/2 - 1.5 oz. on 15 lb. J-Braid, and CASTING DISTANCE IS CRUCIAL.

Would like to go 7'6" at the minimum.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Woody

Hard to beat the St. Croix Avid medium heavy 8 footer rated to throw 1/2 ounce to 2 ounces and weighing 7.1 ounces.

But I got a great deal on a St. Croix Legend Salmon rod - a 9 1/2 footer heavy rod rated to throw 1/2 to 2 ounces and weighing only 6.4 ounces. Can easily throw epoxy jigs over Block Island from the West Wall. Have even fished the tip off Montauk from the West Wall. :shock:

Noticed that the similar St. Croix Avid Salmon rod only costs half as much, and weighs 6.2 ounces. (The 9 1/2 foot Tirelego surf rod weighs 11.5 ounces, for comparison.)

SA1085-MHX  1/2 - 1 3/4 Medium fast... I think it would make a nice albie rod. It's not so much an albie rod as it is a rod to throw the lures needed to catch one.

I personally like using my 9' fiberstar sb-1086 that I use for blues and bass in the sound.  rated 1/2 - 2 1/2.  Hate using inshore rods after throwing surf rods for a whole season, just cant get use to the short butt section.

I use an old 8' Ben Doer surf system. I'm no expert but handed it off to a few guys at the jetty. Seemed to be well liked and can throw a 5/8 epoxy jig a mile. I would think it is pretty close to the tide master. I think the 9.5 tiralejo is a great rod but too heavy for this app. Good luck.

1 hour ago, MikedNJ said:

I used a stellar lite 7'6 and it launches those lures on a clash 3000. Little light for bigger stripers but the rod has backbone.

Thats what I have. I like the rod and it throws  a deadly dick a long ways. 79 bucks I think?