dark_helmet

Even elephants eat peanuts?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I was at the canal Saturday morning, and I was watching stripers of all size devouring peanuts. I just could not buy a strike. I used metals, a tsunami eel teaser, and even these absolutely tiny fin-s that my dad had. All to no avail. My father lost one fish on a small crippled herring spoon but that was the only hit. Wondering if sometimes they just wont eat anything but the real thing. Should I start packing a dip net in my surfbag? I was thinking of going to an orvis and seeing if they had any bunker flies that might be useful as a teaser. Any one care to share what does (or doesn't) work for them?

Edited by dark_helmet
typo

A dip net is kinda a big cumbersome thing if you want to be mobile, but packing a couple of peanut bunker flies, and using them as teasers, is not a bad idea. And while it's crude and rude, consider dragging a treble snag hook behind a casting egg, snagging a bunker from a school, and letting it swim.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, dark_helmet said:

I was at the canal Saturday morning, and I was watching stripers of all size devouring peanuts. I just could not buy a strike. I used metals, a tsunami eel teaser, and even these absolutely tiny fin-s that my dad had. All to no avail. My father lost one fish on a small crippled herring spoon but that was the only hit. Wondering if sometimes they just wont eat anything but the real thing. Should I start packing a dip net in my surfbag? I was thinking of going to an orvis and seeing if they had any bunker flies that might be useful as a teaser. Any one care to share what does (or doesn't) work for them?

I was there that Saturday. Same situation you were having, threw almost everything in my bag at them. But they were small fish on top, the big fish were on the bottom. I knew from past experience was just be patience, the big fish lag behind and will be on the bottom. So I snap on a Savage Sandeel and hook up to a 42inch fish. The savage was destroy, then snap on Al gag whip it fish and hook up on every cast until the bite died down. Sometime see fish on top and want to put on a popper but I've been more consistent with jigging. Why have French fries when you can get a steak.

This was the case in RI this week, fish were smashing peanuts but most couldnt buy a hit.  I got one on a small bunker swim shad, but it was my only taker.

ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!   ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!  ZOOM A ZOOM A ZOOM!

Same thing happened to me a few nights ago. Bass had tinker Mack's pushed right up on the beach and would not touch a thing that me and my buddy threw at em. They were school fish and I tried a big plug to see if any bigger girls were mixed in but to no avail. I think that when there's that much bait around it can get really hard to get them to notice your presentation sometimes.