mathman

Do white perch hit topwater?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new here.  Just started fishing after about a 20 year hiatus, and I've got the striper bug pretty bad now.  I've been hitting some of the few accessible shore spots on the bay but so far haven't got into any bass.  It's kind of turning into my white whale but I'm determined. 

I tried a new spot the other morning where fish were working what I think were anchovies and occasionally breaking the surface.  I threw a Zara Spook Jr and got a couple bites but only one brief hookup.  I'm thinking the fish were too small for that bait.  I wonder if I finally got into some smaller bass or if they were just ambitious perch.  Do perch hit topwater? 

Edited by mathman

Greetings and welcome :)

Generally you should be able to tell by the surface activity whether they are bass or white perch. But to answer your question, white perch will hit topwater lures. They don't make the kind of holes in the water a striped bass makes eating a lure...but they'll grab at them for sure.  I imagine the striped bass will start to get more active down there as the water temps start to drop - be patient :)

TimS

It might be a little tougher if your bass down there are really, really small...like under a foot long. I just realized when someone fishing the Chesapeake Bay this time of year says "small bass" that they could be talking about bass that are as small..or smaller...than the white perch :o 

One thing to try is to slow down your retrieve...bass like things slower than white perch...generally :)  Here's something fun - get a weighted bobber, those Styrofoam kind - put a real light jig on the line, something like a 2"-3" Mr. Twister on a  1/16oz or 1/8oz jig head. Put the bobber on the line about 18" above it. Throw that into the area you see them feeding...and kinda drag it bag to you with a little rod tip action to get it wiggling and bouncing around. The little bass and the white perch will both love it...and you'll be able to fish is slow enough to get more bass interested :)

TimS

Ha!  I did catch a 6" stripe on a tiny tube jig, but that doesn't count.  My goal for now is anything over 12".  Modest, but you have to start somewhere.  

I'll give the bobber over jig rig a shot.  Thanks for the tip!