paulsoncall

Best Place to Launch Kayak - E Matunuck

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I’m looking to launch my kayak near E. Matunuck Beach. Is the beach parking lot the best place to do this at this time of year? Looking to fish near the west wall.  Is there a better location to launch from?  I have a paddle kayak. 

Surf is waaaay too rough to launch from the beach right now. Keep going down succotash rd until you get to the pier (right past jims dock restaurant) 

parking shouldnt be bad especially before 9am. 

If the the tide is coming in when your going out, it can be really hard to get out but it's doable. Best going out at slack or outgoing if possible.

Don't let the ferry getcha! See ya out there! 

Deep hole is a bad idea. Look at deep hole beach parking lot on google maps and then picture launching your yak there in hurricane swells. The waves are going to be giant out there right now. Jose is inbound and heading straight for ri. 

Edited by Dirty Walter

6 hours ago, paulsoncall said:

Marine forecast doesn't look too bad for this weekend. I may try Deep Hole parking area first. Thanks! 

If that's the info you got, you may want to find and start using another site.

3 hours ago, In The Surf said:

If that's the info you got, you may want to find and start using another site.

Granted I'm usually fishing in back bays and the sound and don't have much experience on the open ocean so I appreciate the warnings. Care to give me a bit of education on what to look for when checking out the marine forecast? I looked up Point Judith and for Saturday saw the following: NE winds around 5 kt, becoming se around 5 kt in the afternoon. Seas around 3 ft.  I understand that might be different than what's actually happening, but what else should I look for?

Edited by paulsoncall

If your looking for albies and school bass. launch at the Camp Cronin, East Gap parking lot.

It's a short portage to the inside beach. Safe to launch. Paddle out to the outside middle wall.

If things get dicey, fish inside the Harbor of Refuge, especially around the passage openings.