Walnut

Sandy Point state park and Terrapin State park fly fishing

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I was wondering if around the Sandy Point state park and Terrspin State park area if there was any fly fishing from shore to be had for stripers,  c&r only no keepers. Tight lines to all.

Edited by Walnut

13 hours ago, Walnut said:

Looks fishy there...  I'll have to try it sometime. 

I actually did a research project there and there are stripers to be had. I ended up catching some micro fish in the middle of winter.

At one time, when I was a lot younger, I fished at Sandy Point often, as I lived in Severna Park & Arnold, so it was close. Never tried my fly rod there however, always tossed baits, and only occasionally caught a keeper size Striper. They come in there, but IMO, it's one of those places you would have to fish nearly every day to catch them often. I caught little ones, and White Perch, Spot, Croakers & catfish there mostly. Sometimes Bluefish, but that was never consistent. You could do a lot of blind casting with fly gear there & never even see a fish. 

Frankly, with the amount of people who use that park, fly fishing there might be a bit dangerous to do. People don't pay attention to folks using conventional gear there. 

It's been a long time, but I've caught stripers and blues off the end of the jetty using my 9/10 and a little white clouser.  The best time is first light or just before dark.  

But it was frustrating.  I would see a pod of fish busting bait, but always just out of my reach.  Much easier from a boat, for sure.  Those rental boats get you to the fish.  Then the boat addiction starts.  A slippery slope, for sure!

I found that from shore, fishing Kent Narrows across the Bay Bridge was MUCH better than Sandy point.  Especially with a fly rod.  

-TH

There's a public boat ramp at the Narrows. Parking can be a problem. I believe the ramp belongs to the county so you'll need a permit, even if you're not launching a boat. Most of the rest along there is private property. In the past, a long time ago, I fished there, and it was best at night. Then they changed some of regs about fishing for Stripers at night & I stopped going. Catch the tide just right & plenty of fish can be caught. A person used to be able to catch a lot of White perch there on flies. Size 4 Crazy Charlies, Gotcha's & small Clouser Minnows worked great. I did well with chartreuse, but also pearl/white, pink, and tan. Deceivers & Clouser Minnows in the 3" to 5" long range worked fine for Stripers and some other fish that might come along. Now, you may encounter people fishing there who will not be fly fishing, may not or say they don't speak English, and may or may not have a fishing license. Another reason I no longer fished there. If you have a yak or other small watercraft, there is a ramp just south of there on Goodhands Creek at the end of Goodhand Creek Rd, which is an easier launch than the narrows, as current flows and boat traffic are not as bad. I launched my Gheenoe there several times.