JaseB

How much homework?

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, makomakoman said:

 

look in the mirror

 

If they aren't challenged in school, then changes schools; that is on the teacher and district..  I moved to a town where I knew the schools were excellent.

 

 

we weren't discussing if its bad enough that they need to change schools, just that if they were more challenged theyd have more homework.

 

 

don't change the discussion just because you  said something dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HugeDinghy said:

we weren't discussing if its bad enough that they need to change schools, just that if they were more challenged theyd have more homework.

 

 

don't change the discussion just because you  said something dumb.

I didn't.. you did.  Some days I wonder if you ever went to class.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JaseB said:

You're starting to make more sense Country Croc.  It's like you're both talking at each other, not to each other. What got me thinking about this was are neighbor's kid in 7th grade doesn't have homework and is on the A/B honor roll.  It's not a shock that the school freaks about passing the SOL's every year.

 

Like I said.. our district overloads homework to the 7th and 8th graders.  Most of it is just dumb, but they think it helps them for later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The schools go way overboard with stupid homework. It's a joke. The schools are trying to make up for the fact that the actual learnin' they give the kids during the school day is so terrible, generally speaking. We've morphed into a country where the educational system teaches kids to take tests, not to actually learn anything -- kids today get out of school with excellent test-taking skills, but they don't know nuthin'. Try to talk about history to a recent high school grad, and you'll find that they quite literally know almost nothing -- it's really, really shameful. And I'm not talking about esoteric subjects like the analogy between King Cotton in the antebellum south and crude oil in today's Middle East (this is a fascinating topic, by the way), but rather very basic historical stuff -- the kids don't know any of it. 

 

Are kid has some homework, but not much -- the hippy-dippy school really doesn't believe in homework, but they give some to the kids to prepare them for life when they go to a traditional school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after school is for getting high after school is for fishing and or hunting, but i geuss you can't carry a shotgun or fillet knife in your car anymore, that's gotta suck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Educators told me and my wife expect 10 minutes per grade. First grade 10 min-6th grade 60 min of homework per night. Don't won't to burn the kids out with too much. Have found my 5th grader usually would need more time than this to complete assignments. Sometimes if we think she "gets it" we just stop where we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a high school that had, and has, a reputation as being academically excellent, rigorous and all that. They promised 3 hours of homework every night, all 4 years. 

I don't think I did 3 hours in any year. Learning how to shirk, and get by faking it, is a crucial life skill that I learned to master in high school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Belmo said:

I went to a high school that had, and has, a reputation as being academically excellent, rigorous and all that. They promised 3 hours of homework every night, all 4 years. 

I don't think I did 3 hours in any year. Learning how to shirk, and get by faking it, is a crucial life skill that I learned to master in high school. 

this ^^^^^^

i never did homework, and look how well i turned out :th: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, makomakoman said:

what's Roanoke college like?  She got a letter from them.  Gets like 3 day, half I never heard of.  At least it keeps the paper industry going.  :)

Small.  Know a few people that went there.  They all went elsewhere on weekends to party.

10 minutes ago, Belmo said:

The schools go way overboard with stupid homework. It's a joke. The schools are trying to make up for the fact that the actual learnin' they give the kids during the school day is so terrible, generally speaking. We've morphed into a country where the educational system teaches kids to take tests, not to actually learn anything -- kids today get out of school with excellent test-taking skills, but they don't know nuthin'. Try to talk about history to a recent high school grad, and you'll find that they quite literally know almost nothing -- it's really, really shameful. And I'm not talking about esoteric subjects like the analogy between King Cotton in the antebellum south and crude oil in today's Middle East (this is a fascinating topic, by the way), but rather very basic historical stuff -- the kids don't know any of it. 

 

Are kid has some homework, but not much -- the hippy-dippy school really doesn't believe in homework, but they give some to the kids to prepare them for life when they go to a traditional school. 

My 4th grader just started a 3 year course on the great 100's.  They study the top 100 people in human civilization, Ghandi, Gangis Kahn, Buddha, Homer, Ramesses, Ulysses,  those are the ones I can remember, most I could not.   :freak:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Belmo said:

.
I don't think I did 3 hours in any year. Learning how to shirk, and get by faking it, is a crucial life skill that I learned to master in high school. 

 

Ditto that.  And my eldest to date seems to take after me, which is why I'm scared.  I got my ass kicked freshman year of college, I was the type that cruised through AP classes in high school, pulled As with little work.  Litterally had to teach myself how to study when I got to college. 

 

We moved to the town we did specifically because of the school district, wife was always in private education and it was either move to an area with good schools or pay college like tuitions starting in 1st grade as far as whe was concerned.  While she has skated down easy street to date, the chickens are coming home to roost.  Better now then when I'm paying $60k/year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, makorider said:

 

Ditto that.  And my eldest to date seems to take after me, which is why I'm scared.  I got my ass kicked freshman year of college, I was the type that cruised through AP classes in high school, pulled As with little work.  Litterally had to teach myself how to study when I got to college.

The first semester of my freshman year of college, I took four courses: I took less than a full load to give myself more time to acclimate to the big change, to socialize, learn how the deal with college works, etc. 

 

I got two Cs and two Fs. College was easy after that. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.