Southcoastphil

Puttin' the wood (or plastic) to Albies?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

In addition to all of the traditional stuff (tins, plastics, etc.) for funny fish, do any of you use wood or plastic while chasing them?

I ask this specifically because there have been times that I'd wished that I had something that I could cast ahead of the school, but couldn't cast rubber far enough.  (Didn't have any bubbles with me, nor did I have time to tie the little stuff on as a teaser.)

I'm thinking about stuff like Tattoo Walking Sticks, small floating needles/poppers, etc. for wood and small plastic swimmers.  For the swimmers, I'm thinking of cutting/grinding off some or all of the lip on some of them, just to keep right on top like a tiny needle or spook.

I've attached some pics FYI.  For size reference, the Walking Sticks have 4" long bodies and in the plastics pic, the Yozuri in the lower R is 3.5" long.  Added one more pic of a Yozuri popper of some sort (skitter?) which is 4" long.

I know that I'll need to change some of the hooks.  How important is having through-wired lures when chasing hard tails?  If it is not that critical, then I have a ton of plastics that I could quickly rattle can and toss.

As always, TIA for your help!!!

P1020865.JPG

P1020866.JPG

P1020867.JPG

Edited by Southcoastphil

I've caught them on the smallest walking stick, but the second one I ever caught was in the canal on a 3 oz Gibbs pencil. Thought I had a really big bass on. 

Guys catch them year after year in the Ditch on bass gear.   Have I done it, not in the ditch but from a kayak.   I think my largest plug was a Badonkadonk. I keep telling myself to use the egg rig or Jumping minnow, but sometimes when you just got to catch on the Zoom, you go down in flames.    Airplane flaming out sfx here..........sounds like yesterday afternoon.  Duh!

The 4" x-rap is one of my favorites when they're finicky. I normally try to avoid all the treble hooks though. I guess you could replace them with inline singles. Rapala makes the twitchin minnow now too, which is like a lipless x-rap.

I caught one on a large pencil one time in a raging noreaster. More luck than anything, i believe.  I didn't expect them to be feeding there in that messy, stained water.