Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigLuke

Rod/Reel combo

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I did a search and got some good input so far but I'd like as many opinions on this as possible.

I am in the market for a surf plugging rod and conventional reel to throw on it. Total budget for this venture $500. Thoughts please.

------------------

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I will go fishing"---Henry David Thoreau

Need to know lure weight range and length of rod preferred. Lami make several production conventional surf rods that Tim sells in the on-line store ranging from $225-$250. If you add a Calcutta 400, Newell 229 or Abu 7500 add another $150-200. The total is below your $500 budget.

Then you can probably have built a custom rod with good Fuji components and add the reel of choice. It will probably run you an additional $100 but the rod will be custom fitted to you.

Al

BL:

I like the lami reg surf and ron arra models and the loomis 108-20c and i so highly recommend the tica caiman 200 in stealth black. my feeling is that there is no contest between it and the abus and it's every bit as good if not better and probably a lot more trouble free than the calcutta at $60 less.

-feltman

Big Luke,

Get yourself an Abu 7500 WITHOUT the level wind. A C3, or C3CT.

They are becoming rarer than hens' teeth right now b/c Abu discontinued the 7500's w/o level winds.

Gimme a holler if you're having trouble locating one.

-Ben

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes