8fishermen

Light weight distance rod

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Looking for a spinning blank for fishing a tail race.  I want to reach 120 yards with the minimum amount of lure weight. Would like to stay around 1 or 2 oz lure weight. The water is shallow and fast so a longer rod helps keep the line out of the fast cross currents. Need a minimum of 11' of rod to control line. Longer would be better as long as it feels light in the hand. 

My favorite rods are unpainted with single foot guides to keep the top as light and responsive as possible.  I fish braid so concept or kr layout.  I really like light rods and reels.

Considering an ultegra 5500 to keep it light. 

Suggestions? 

Maybe a CTS VT 40-70g or S7 1.5-3oz. VT has more options. Otherwise I would try century. These are probably your best bets for light rods in the length you are asking. the only other brand would be ODM but I do not believe they have rods that light.

What's your budget look like? And what kind of acrion do you like I've got a few century models in mind that would probably fit the bill, but I need a little more info. 

6 hours ago, FinS 32 said:

What's your budget look like? And what kind of acrion do you like I've got a few century models in mind that would probably fit the bill, but I need a little more info. 

Not sure on budget. Not sure what I need to spend to get what I want. Don't want to spend more than needed but also understand that we are talking about a high preformance tool

Brand is not really important to me.  

As far as action,  will be throwing metal, jigs,  and topwater. We often use a technique where we throw weighted popping corks with a teaser.

I've got 3 in particular in mind. 

Century stealth s1-1325 11' 1-4 rating. (Nice light 11' that I would almost say is more if a 1-3. More moderate action)

Century stealth s2 graphex 11' 1-5 ( similarly the s1 but more powerful. Graphene reinforcement which, among other things,  adds strength and keeps the weight down. Pretty much top of the line rod with a price tag to match. I use this rod myself and love it. There's also a a standard s2 {2-5 rating thats more of a 1-5} that doesn't have graphene which has allowed price and is a bit heavier And a bit more moderate. )

Century Vectura-Ti 11' 1/2-1 3/4 ( ultra light weight for an 11'. Haven't reallynxone across any 11' that throws that low of a lure range as far. This is another very high end rod. Only issue I could see for you is that you said you prefer unpainted blanks. The other 2 are unpainted, while this one comes in a cobalt blue color. )

Edited by FinS 32

26 minutes ago, ZAFisher said:

FinS,

Have you any experience with the Vectura 11?

I have only used the 7'3".

Interested in your thoughts.

I do, but I will admit my experience with it is a little limited. It has a good amount of power for being such a light rod. If you're looking to cast a 1 oz metal lure a mile.  there's really nothing like it. Its a little more moderate than the 7'3" model. Its almost heavy fly rod-esque if that make any sense. Personally I don't have much usage for it here in the northeast but I do like the rod a lot. 

Would agree with Unclebunker.

Both Century's mentioned in an earlier post are built on blanks originally designed for carp fishing.

Similar blanks from CTS are the same.

Problem with RODS factory built for carp fishing is the 5 guide layouts with a large stripper placed WAY out the blank. Works ok-ish for 1-3 casts a day, bleeding awful for cast and retrieve use.

CTS Vapor Trail, 3-6 oz, 11 foot and Lami 1322 are what I use for tailwater stripers here. Ultegra 5500 and 30# power pro. I have used my CTS 1-3 Vapor Trail, but if the water is moving good, you'll want more backbone to get a good striper out of current. Will also depend on the size fish that you are targeting. Under 15#, the 1-3 Vapor Trail might be ok. Larger, you'll want more backbone.