albacized

Braid rubbing on braid

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

The other day, a fellow fisherman and I had the good fortune of hooking up to false albacore at the same time - but then we had the misfortune of these fish crossing our lines. the lines somehow ended up being wrapped 3 times and of course we weren't stopping these fish from running - thus the two lines were subject to some serious rub burns. What are the odds that my line is now compromised in some manner?

As an aside, on the plus side we both landed our fish. We finally stopped trying to fight both the fish and each other (not fighting in the 'altercation' sense, but rather managing our tangle while fighting fish), and we stopped what we were doing to figure out if we could untwist our lines. We figured it out and were both still on...the down side is during this down time in the fight, both fish managed to tail wrap themselves and we both ended up reeling in really beautiful, silver and blue tuna shaped rubber boots (i.e. blew our chance to enjoy the fight)

Had the same scenario last year in Montauk with a buddy. I would say cast the line out past the tangle and slooooowly reel in between your fingers and eyeball any imperfections your fingers pick up. You could also reverse your line on the reel.

Run the first hundred feet of it (or however many feet you think) out while holding it up to a light. Look for frayed spots and cut the line at the last one you can find as it comes off the spool.