Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krusty

Spawning

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

If it tells you that the rod and reel your holding in your hands is good for everything from snapper fishing to blue marlin, it's a female.

.....hey, it's getting late & I couldn't resist wink.gif

Good night......

Dont think Ive caught a females w/ eggs, but I have seen photos where you can see the sides of the belly bulging out. Personally I would not kill a fish that looked like she was gonna burst w/ eggs. I have also fished w/ people that got "milted" by the males.

Unfortunately, striped bass are not sexually dimorphic. That means that you can not tell the males from the females visually. However, like stated, the big cows are generally females. So if you a land 50+ it was probably a female.

Also, if you keep a fish and cut it open and see the large orange sacks that some bass have in them this time of year, you can rest assured that it was a female. A female with eggs. One misconception - if I kill a female with eggs I just prvented it from spawning. Maybe not the case. Every spring the female bass go through the biologic process's to be ready to spawn, however not all complete the feat so to speak. If your fishin in the mouth of a bay/river or up stream in the sweetwater and kill one, than it was probably there to spawn. If you get one this late in the spring out on the beach, dont cry yourself to sleep, it wasnt gonna spawn anyway. It for this reason that I will not fish certain places where the fish are definately spawning (like the rivers).

Also, if you clean a fish in summer/fall and notice a lot of veins near the surface of the organs, it was a female. The veins for the female are shallower to aid in the spawning process. With male fish, you cant see the veins at all.

HMMM....maybe I did learn something in school....

BH

If the males are paying attention to what is being said, or awake for that matter, they probably haven't spawned yet.

True not all fish spawn every year. That way if some eco disaster takes oplace in the river one yr., a whole population isn't wiped out. (ain't nature grand)

------------------

tophat.gif

Fishin' ain't easy, but it sure is fun.

Bunkerhead...I'm by no means a Marine Biologist, however, I believe that a male tops out at approximately 25lbs & at 30 lbs it's sure to be a female.

According to what I've learned from some old timers, the larger bass used to be called "bulls". When it was realized that the larger bass (30+lbs) were all females, the term was changed to "cows".

Just the .02 that I borrowed from Hagar for my comments on this subjectwink.gif

Hi Hagar HappyWave.gif