shark lobster

Working a pencil

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

yesterday am went out near my house there is a nice pond that fills on the high tide water gets moving really good ! So i was throwing a pencil to feeding fish who were smacking it flipping it in the air and hooking up with it alot of fun my ? Is what do you do when a fish takes a swipe at your plug? Do you stop working it ? Or continue working it? Ive tried both and it didnt seem to matter on these fish yesterday.

Just now, shark lobster said:

Thought i would ask before i head out again  to do it all again !

15 minutes ago, shark lobster said:

yesterday am went out near my house there is a nice pond that fills on the high tide water gets moving really good ! So i was throwing a pencil to feeding fish who were smacking it flipping it in the air and hooking up with it alot of fun my ? Is what do you do when a fish takes a swipe at your plug? Do you stop working it ? Or continue working it? Ive tried both and it didnt seem to matter on these fish yesterday.

Last week it seemed like I had return "smacks" whether stopping, or continued retrieval. I got quite a few fish when I stopped took any slack and just twitched the bait.

if you find out let us all know!

Hold tight!

I found if i stopped they would just smack it but if i started moveing again i would hook up more times than not!i also took of the single end hook replaced with treble hook increased hook up rate by 50%

Days like yesterday are great learning days, when you know fish are there and you can try different lures working in many ways to see what works , they would only touch top water pencils , no swimmers or poppers only pencils did not matter what color or size!

Just now, shark lobster said:

I found if i stopped they would just smack it but if i started moveing again i would hook up more times than not!i also took of the single end hook replaced with treble hook increased hook up rate by 50%

I agree that my hook ups were better with a rear treble but I saw more damage to the fish. I convert to single dressed hooks but these were New guppy plugs and they don't miss as much.

20 minutes ago, shark lobster said:

Yes the treble can do some damage but i crushed bards and put a very fine point on the hook !

That's true 

Alot of times smaller fish will give the bite, but to small to take the lure.glad to hear you got shorts.I most always run a single hook off the back end of the lure.swim better to.