Riptide

Albie Madness!! (REPORT)

Rate this topic

440 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The day started HORRIBLY slow!!! Nobody seemed to be catching anywhere. So despite rough seas I pointed the Contender towards distant lands. We traveled far and fast, but Plans A-D failed to produce. Incoming and outgoing calls to and from the best in the game all had the same story.

Finally Capt Shaun Ruge on the other RIPTIDE boat, found some life. His quote "It's not great, but it's something" With a tide turn coming I had hopes that this was the start of a rally. We ran 17 miles in 21 minutes OVER 3' seas.

We arrived and found the action was building. Then the switch flipped into the FULL ON position. The bite went insane with all our buddy boats getting doubles trips and quads!!!!

It was an afternoon to remember. BOTHof the RIPTIDE CHARTERS boats were on half day trips. But leaving when the bites on fire and the morning was slow is NOT how we roll.

When our sports are done THAT'S when we are done!!!!

Dozens of monster albies many over 10# were landed and released on Hogy Lures epoxy jigs and pnut jigs

IMG_20170902_155220_329.jpg

IMG_20170902_155206_469.jpg

IMG_20170902_155157_025.jpg

IMG_20170902_152834_923.jpg

20170902_125705.jpg

Edited by Riptide

Good stuff!   Glad your luck changed.   Let's hope the inshore crowd gets theirs with the SW blow, because that North crap blows.  

I have to ask. What was the lure retrieve speed/technique that got them to bite?

Pretty positive we fished the same area with fish breaking over and over...Hundreds of shots at fish and only got one taker. Tried every color Hogy epoxy we had (green, olive, pink, bone, silver) 3 different sizes from 3/8-7/8oz, 2 different color fluoro leaders, no leader, clips/no clips....Tried deadly dicks, crippled herring, the kitchen sink, and it just wasn't happening. About as frustrating as fishing can be. We know they were feeding on peanut bunker at the one take purged a handful on the deck. 

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, gabe said:

I have to ask. What was the lure retrieve speed/technique that got them to bite?

Pretty positive we fished the same area with fish breaking over and over...Hundreds of shots at fish and only got one taker. Tried every color Hogy epoxy we had (green, olive, pink, bone, silver) 3 different sizes from 3/8-7/8oz, 2 different color fluoro leaders, no leader, clips/no clips....Tried deadly dicks, crippled herring, the kitchen sink, and it just wasn't happening. About as frustrating as fishing can be. We know they were feeding on peanut bunker at the one take purged a handful on the deck. 

We were using 5/8oz Epoxy jigs in silver and olive, but buddy boats were using Electric chicken and pink with great luck.  I run 12# clear flouro.  NO HARDWARE.  Retrieve is rod tip HIGH crank just fast enough to get the lure skipping on the surface.  When they hit and miss, drop the rod tip while keeping the speed the same and the lure will go subsurface and its almost a sure thing.

Edited by Riptide

12 minutes ago, Riptide said:

We were using 5/8oz Epoxy jigs in silver and olive, but buddy boats were using Electric chicken and pink with great luck.  I run 12# clear flouro.  NO HARDWARE.  Retrieve is rod tip HIGH crank just fast enough to get the lure skipping on the surface.  When they hit and miss, drop the rod tip while keeping the speed the same and the lure will go subsurface and its almost a sure thing.

Thanks for advice Capt.!  Will stick with the epoxies and drop down from 20lb to 12 fluoro and give it a shot next trip

1 minute ago, gabe said:

Thanks for advice Capt.!  Will stick with the epoxies and drop down from 20lb to 12 fluoro and give it a shot next trip

We will run 10 if needed.  I only go 15-20# if the bites insane or the fish are oversized.

1 minute ago, Riptide said:

We will run 10 if needed.  I only go 15-20# if the bites insane or the fish are oversized.

Makes sense..The surface action and size of the fish seemed to indicate 20lb would be ok, but not so. Didn't have anything lighter on hand, tactical error on my part.

The one fish we did catch put a big smile on this young man's face, and that was worth all of the frustration. He went "serious" for the posed shot

IMG_19191_20170902_193852.jpg

nice work. I was out yesterday and had several shots at them I threw a hogy 7/8 oz olive and also the new 1.5oz peanut bunker jig they wouldnt touch it...I was using 20lb mono leader so I guess I should also try going lighter and smaller size jigs, the fish were not up for long and moving very quick and tons of boats running them down so not the best conditions. forecast this coming week doesnt look great but I will be back out there trying again asap. 

I am feeling the fever. Headed out to see if the water clears up in the morning. A few popped up in front of me while both shore and kayak fishing, but didn't get a clean shot. The hunt continues....