Southcoastphil

Any Trolls using a Paraflex 2-6 oz 10' 6" in ditch?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I borrowed one from my son recently, and have on done some test casting with it.  I'm amazed at how well it casts everything from ~1.25 oz to 3.5+ oz.  Although I didn't have any larger stuff with me when I picked it up, I could really fire that 3.5 oz plug, so I think that it will be fine up to at least 5 oz.

I'd use it almost exclusively for plugging in the ditch, and maybe in fast outflows. 

Would love to know how it handles bigger fish in the currents we face.

TIA, as always, for your help.

I've been using the 10' 1.5-5 oz for 2 years. Awesome rod all around. I can cast everything from sp's to heavy savages. I don't know why they aren't more popular. It's a great plugging rod and equally great jigging rod in my opinion. Best part is the lifetime warranty. My wife dropped a 30 pounder on the rod 2 weeks ago during the craziness at the canal and snapped it. It got replaced free of charge at canal b+t with the new star VPR, which is the same length and rating (and an extra $100). I love the VPR. My VPR is my dedicated plugging rod and my 11' star stellar 3-8 is my dedicated jigging rod. Why use any other rod when these are so affordable with a lifetime warranty? I've landed fish 35-40lbs in current with the paraflex, so it is certainly canal worthy.

Phil you need to try my spidy flex rod some time . Unfortunately it is the only one to exist When are you going to show?

Carl,

I've not been fishing for over a week. 

I'll be on the Ditch tomorrow morning, hosting a new SOL'r buddy who's here from DC for his second-ever ditch trip.  (I've invited him and his SO to the Trolls event on Sunday.) I'll be not far from your house tomorrow late afternoon to cook with him and enjoy some dinner together. 

What does your schedule look like tomorrow?  Can we connect mid-afternoon?  (I still want to get that pattern from you to give to Dmac.)

As for rods, I'm honored that you'd let me try your spidy flex rod, but, good lord, that's unobtanium!  (I would still love to cast it though.)

13 hours ago, Fish Monkey said:

I've been using the 10' 1.5-5 oz for 2 years. Awesome rod all around. I can cast everything from sp's to heavy savages. I don't know why they aren't more popular. It's a great plugging rod and equally great jigging rod in my opinion. Best part is the lifetime warranty. My wife dropped a 30 pounder on the rod 2 weeks ago during the craziness at the canal and snapped it. It got replaced free of charge at canal b+t with the new star VPR, which is the same length and rating (and an extra $100). I love the VPR. My VPR is my dedicated plugging rod and my 11' star stellar 3-8 is my dedicated jigging rod. Why use any other rod when these are so affordable with a lifetime warranty? I've landed fish 35-40lbs in current with the paraflex, so it is certainly canal worthy.

Fishmonkey,

I knew that your avatar looked familiar!

Thanks for the feedback. 

I bought a 10' 6" Tiralejo rated 1-3.5oz. last Feb and I LOVE that rod.  It's just not tough enough (at least in my experience) to turn 20s in moon tides, forget 30+ fish.  I first saw the Paraflex rods a few years back and loved their mod to mod-fast action. 

When I borrowed Chris' rod (well, now I am leaning to swiping that rod!) I was stoked.  Did not know that they made a 1.5-5 oz rod. Looks like it worked fine for bigger fish in ditch full currents, which is my concern.

I stopped in to see Bruce last month, but he didnt have any Star rods in stock. 

How does the VPR compare to the Paraflex?

Just looked at their site.  VPR seems to be a v fast action stick, which is not what I like at this stage.  and, at $325, its a lot more spendy than their Paraflex sticks.

9 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Just looked at their site.  VPR seems to be a v fast action stick, which is not what I like at this stage.  and, at $325, its a lot more spendy than their Paraflex sticks.

Yes the VPR is definitely a bit more pricey. The paraflex is somewhere around $200 I think. I dont feel any significant difference between the VPR and paraflex to be honest. I've been very happy with both of them. I don't think you'd regret getting the paraflex. 1.5-5 10' was perfect for me, but that 2-6 Sounds like it's just as capable.

On 9/3/2017 at 10:07 AM, Southcoastphil said:

I borrowed one from my son recently, and have on done some test casting with it.  I'm amazed at how well it casts everything from ~1.25 oz to 3.5+ oz.  Although I didn't have any larger stuff with me when I picked it up, I could really fire that 3.5 oz plug, so I think that it will be fine up to at least 5 oz.

I'd use it almost exclusively for plugging in the ditch, and maybe in fast outflows. 

Would love to know how it handles bigger fish in the currents we face.

TIA, as always, for your help.

No I haven't, but I look forward to it!

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, Southcoastphil said:

Do any of you have info about this rod vs Mojo 10'6" MH?

I've been fishing a pair of Mojos for 7 years. Wonderful rods and a real value. The 3/4-4 is a pure casting machine. The 2-6 is a fine jigging rod capable of handling any fish you hook in the canal.