Old Hunter

Penn 310 GTi

5 posts in this topic

My Dad dropped by a couple of days ago and brought me one of his old reels (he says about 12 years old or so).  He had sent it off for maintenance and new line (295 yards of 20 lb. mono).  I haven't used a conventional reel since I was a young teenager (50 years ago) when we would bottom fish off the piers at Atlantic Beach NC.  I will use it on my inshore boat for trolling in the Pamlico Sound and for bottom fishing off the boat (also inshore).  Any suggestions for an appropriate rod to pair it with?  Thanks, OH

Posted (edited)

Hi, I have a Penn 310 GTI i use with 15# Mono on a Star inshore rod 6'6" 3/8 to 2 oz lure wt, 12# to 20# line rating Model # PG 12201ss i think. It's one of the nicest combos i have. I use the rod for smaller fish from snapper blues, small stripers, flounder, king fish, hard head, you name it. I use the combo from low piers, and boats.  I don't think the reel was made for 20#  mono, but you should be able to get away with it.  I didn't like it for use as a trolling reel, but then i have a Penn 111 Senator and a 112 Senator i use for that. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

Posted (edited)

Actually I got the solution today - Dad said he had a rod for me to go with the reel, to come by and pick it up - it's a 7' Penn Power Pole that he used the reel on when he owned it.  Thanks Hunter and Tony for your answers.  OH

IMG_1133.JPG

Edited by Old Hunter