Hectic530

Bailess Stella

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Hectic530 said:

Can you make a Shimano Stella bailess 

Can you DIY by just cutting off the bail wire?

Edited by lichum

You can DIY anything - but I am 99% sure the reels balance would be thrown off if you simply cut the bail wire to make it bail-less.

-krnguy712

I wouldn't touch it. Would be like cutting the spoiler off a Porsche. It's designed to be as close to perfect as it's gonna be. Sure you can cut it, but I think it would negatively affect the reel. 

My limited experience says go the hacksaw route. Dress the cut area with a file and emery paper. Leave the attachment hardware on the non roller side. I've done this surgery to Penn reels 704, 710, 716, ss4500, and ss650. They all perform well. If you think the reel is slightly out of balance, don't worry it will be O K when you fasten it to the rod. That's how we use them anyway. There are benefits to going bailless.

I put some serious thought into it and I still can't do it regardless I reel with  my right hand and to go bailess right hand retrieve the  line winds up the opposite direction of regular reel so it won't work for me thanks for all the info guys  I appreciate it 

3 hours ago, FinS 32 said:

I wouldn't touch it. Would be like cutting the spoiler off a Porsche.

Nicely put.

Are you talking about the smaller 5000/6000SWB versions? Because every model larger than that comes with manual bail that won't close until you manual put your hand on the bail and close it....It basically allows you to enjoy the benefits of a bailless reel, while still having a bail