luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2017

Rate this topic

143 posts in this topic

Jims post and the ensuing banter is interesting. As a self proclaimed outsider I never expected anyone to spoon feed me real time data. As someone said but the time it is posted it has changed. If it didn't change, you would still be fishing and not typing!  Approximately four years ago when I first bought a place at the beach, I found lots of information on SOL. It was great for me. 

Things have slowed down considerably on SOL and I don't get it.  I live two hours away on a good day. A wife, kids and job don't allow me to be more than a weekend warrior and even then it is hard. Any way to make my infrequent fishing trips more worthwhile is what I hoped to gather here. I guess I fall on the side of the tell more than the tell nothing. Just my opinion. 

Report: kayak crabbing last Saturday was challenging with the wind but we did well and had a nice dinner. 

H2O: bummer about the injury. Heal fast and as said before by many don't rush it. You are not 18 any more!

KK good to see you back and catching. Glad that your better half still lets you enjoy that what you enjoy. 

Heres my crabbing partner. She gets her good looks from her mom and love of the outdoors from her dad. 

IMG_6624.JPG

imo fishing reports are good.  reports will bring people.  we need as many people as possible to get involved with fighting the nps and their policies that will lead to a loss of what we hold so dear.

on the other hand many would rather not have any reports at all, in order to keep the chasers off the beach, and keep their favorite cut or slough all to themselves.

i can see both sides of the coin, but frankly have not ever had much of a problem catching even when the beach was crowded.  (now i've jinxed myself lol).

so, that said, this is the time of year when the drum are running.  they ARE there now.  I can say that based on past experience.  

good luck to all.

8 hours ago, NewWaveDave said:

so do you go further south to get your cobbs or do you find them around AI out back?

I mostly try to find them in the canals or creeks locally around Ocean City. I've looked, and walked, a bunch of the flats at the crossovers behind the OSV section, but never really found much there. I've seen more on the backside of AI towards the north end between the bridge and inlet, but you need a boat or kayak to get to them unless you do a lot of walking. It shouldn't be long until you start seeing finger mullet cruising south in the surf, but you have to be quick and have a fast sinking net to get them unless they are holed up at low tide.

AIVA is much better for finding them then the MD side. You can get a seasons worth in just an hour or so. Well, a seasons worth for me that is - probably a couple days worth for others. The Hook area is golden this time of year ;).  

1 hour ago, mrscott24 said:

H2O: bummer about the injury. Heal fast and as said before by many don't rush it. You are not 18 any more!

KK good to see you back and catching. Glad that your better half still lets you enjoy that what you enjoy. 

Heres my crabbing partner. She gets her good looks from her mom and love of the outdoors from her dad. 

IMG_6624.JPG

Nice, Mike! Nothing beats a fun time catching crabs with the fam!

On 9/13/2017 at 8:31 AM, kurazy kracka said:

here's a vague report and a pic......fished somewhere in MD last week on the bay, got a bunch of bass 15-30".  Lots of bait around, peanuts and silver sides. (I know this isn't ocean related but I didn't want it posted in the chessie section/ no reports thread)

21369203_10103930438606477_5321783320657

Nice!

9/14-9/15 DSSP 1.5 hours each day on the afternoon incoming. Small blues, Kingfish, Flounder and a few 2-3' sharks. All caught with cut fresh finger mullet on high / low rigs. Used a few of the small blues, tail cut off and bleeding, as well as whole finger mullet, in hopes of catching something worth catching. Had a few run-offs with a southern ray brought in.

I have a feeling the bigger stripers are still North of me.

1 hour ago, SharkHunter said:

9/14-9/15 DSSP 1.5 hours each day on the afternoon incoming. Small blues, Kingfish, Flounder and a few 2-3' sharks. All caught with cut fresh finger mullet on high / low rigs. Used a few of the small blues, tail cut off and bleeding, as well as whole finger mullet, in hopes of catching something worth catching. Had a few run-offs with a southern ray brought in.

I have a feeling the bigger stripers are still North of me.

Them bigger bass won't be passing by for at least another 6-8 weeks 

On 9/13/2017 at 8:31 AM, kurazy kracka said:

here's a vague report and a pic......fished somewhere in MD last week on the bay, got a bunch of bass 15-30".  Lots of bait around, peanuts and silver sides. (I know this isn't ocean related but I didn't want it posted in the chessie section/ no reports thread)

21369203_10103930438606477_5321783320657

Nice work KK. In other news, I was looking at the Bonavista myself but prefer extra room for layers and they don't have 3x.  Need a new top. 

12 minutes ago, AtTheBar said:

Nice work KK. In other news, I was looking at the Bonavista myself but prefer extra room for layers and they don't have 3x.  Need a new top. 

For the money it's pretty solid. For real real cold (below 30) I have a hyperflex playa I use. (Same as stormr but half the price) 

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, ocean, child, sky, outdoor, water and natureHad a fun but slow week on AIVA. Caught 2 puppies, only one made it to the cooler. The other popped the hook as soon as I got it on the beach, so after throwing the rod down and sprinting to the fish and getting my fingers on it a wave reached the fish at the same time and off the drum went (not sure if you consider that a caught fish since it made to land and I touched it). Other than that we caught undersized flounder, small blues, a few small pompano, and the obligatory skates and few rays. Looking forward to being back in 3 weeks. The current was swift once you got to the other side of the bar for all but one day, 10oz lead wasn't staying put.

Edited by BLilly

On September 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM, NewWaveDave said:

so do you go further south to get your cobbs or do you find them around AI out back?

Several years back I tried cast netting cobs while wet wading behind AI, man are they fast, but u was also at a disadvantage. Good luck

On 9/7/2017 at 8:06 PM, h2oboss said:

Well guys....I am finished for the year!!!

Torn biceps tendon, going in for surgery next week. I hope you all get into a good fall run....as for me I'll be rehabbing for next 2-3 months, post surgery 

Is it the top or bottom tendon? I tore the top one a few years ago, did not take long at all to be back at it. If it is the bottom tendon, guy I work with took months to get better. Hope yours turns out well.

BLT...distal rupture, meaning the elbow....surgery was only real option other than having a muscular deformity and a 50% arm rest of my life. Rehab is 3 months or so...and then strength train to get back to old self. Figuring 3 months to get cut loose and then another 3 months to get full strength back I hope