QHNM

Parabolic bend spinning surf rod

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey folks,

Do you know what rods out there 10-11ft have parabolic bend when fight a fish?

Thanks

Edited by QHNM

Price range ?

For a true/deep parabolic action you'll want glass, like a Honey Lami, Silaflex, Fenwick Fenglass, or Garcia Conlon.

Posted (edited)

this thread confused me

and this thread said

-Parabola is basicly the U shape an object has, this it doesn't matter what action a rod has as it can form this shape.

Edited by QHNM

7 minutes ago, Sudsy said:

Price range ?

For a true/deep parabolic action you'll want glass, like a Honey Lami, Silaflex, Fenwick Fenglass, or Garcia Conlon.

up to $300 budget.

Mike,

Thanks, i'll do research about this rod :)

If you're talking about a rod to throw pencil poppers, the Century Stealth or the St Croix 10'6" Mojo will fit the bill

The Vapor Trail rods from CTS are quite parabolic. They're graphite.  (Speaking specifically about the Vapor Trail 11' one to three ounce version.

Sudsy, Garcia Conolon rods are still in production?  I haven't seen them advertised in ... decades.  

How much pressure you talking??

The old 10' tiralejo was parabolic at say 6-8'lbs of pressure.

Could deadlift 12lbs

That was the only modern parabolic type surf stick i've seen out of the newish rods.   

There is a new 11 tiralejo that is going to be coming out soon.  

WHile its not perfectly parabolic.  It loads very deeply down the blank with 2.5...and when loaded up with 8lbs of drag...is very comfy.

The only cast i measured was with taped on guides and it went over 140 yards with a tady jig.  Flat footed zero effort 40lb braid.  Not too many rods load deep and recover quick.  That's why i think this is going to be a very talked about rod when it comes out.  

the 3-8 avid and legend are pretty soft sticks as well

The Penn Battalion and Okuma Cedros CSX have actions that might suit your needs.

I am trying out the 10ft Penn Battalion medium action and 11ft Okuma Cedros CSX medium fast right now, which are both rated for 1oz-4oz, and the actions are very similar and I would describe them both moderate actions based on how they bend while fighting fish, which comes close enough to parabolic. Like you, I prefer slower rather then faster action tips for fighting fish and these rods provide me with what I want.