Dave Peros

Flaptail Makers - Vintage and Current

142 posts in this topic

I have been working on a flaptail collection as a way of remembering Steve Shiraka, who went by the handle "Flaptail" on a number of forums before his untimely death. 

Bob Jones, in particular, has been very helpful in making a number of special vintage pieces available for purchase and sharing some interesting history on flaps.

At this point, I have a pretty good idea about what I need to add to my vintage collection, but I have been thinking lately about what current or more recent builders made flaptails? I have pieces from Surf Asylum, Twisted, and Stetzko, but I know that builders like "The Greek" and others have also made or continue to make these plugs. 

So what I am looking for is any help in identifying builders that you know make flaptails, even on a limited basis, so I can continue my search and project.

Thanks in advance. 

Sudsrat also made one he sold commercially. I may have some obscure ones I will look when I get home. I also have some vintage ones. Let me see what I can find.

20 hours ago, MorningWood said:

Sudsrat also made one he sold commercially. I may have some obscure ones I will look when I get home. I also have some vintage ones. Let me see what I can find.

one of my fav builders ... man makes a solid plug... every time I come across something of his I try and grab it .... here only flaptail of his I come across yet 

IMG_0409.JPG

18 minutes ago, MorningWood said:

Another Sudsrat, BS Plugs flaptail needle, Two Musky Dan. Also the guys from Twisted made a flaptail needle/pencil.

P1010843.JPG

P1060095.JPG

P1110567.JPG

P1110569.JPG

very cool stuff ... and loving that color on the sudsrat... I would fish the hell out that ... his name smudged on yours?? more then half the ones Ive found the in bled in the epoxy 

Dave,

I only have two, and here they are:

1.  A paint-peeled plug that I was told was made by a guy who went by the name of "BS4Shore", which looks very similar to the flaptail in the package that bears the label "BS Plugs"

First pic is that plug as I received it:

59fe08f798ae4_BS4Shoreonly.jpg.0c62545d1b32d66c50ace3864e866894.jpg

Next few are after my rough rehab attempts:

P1020901.thumb.JPG.9fa16fcd8899f960c840cb130f371596.JPG

P1020904.thumb.JPG.d7355435151994d98c17e73adf12867f.JPG

Here's the SA flaptail:

P1020900.thumb.JPG.0267ab237350ce4e3270ab0f73835077.JPG

HTH!

Just LMK if you want more pics.