EricJ

Looking For a Place to Find Green Crabs

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Went to my usual spot last weekend at low tide and it was really bad. Was lifting rocks for 30 min and barely found 10 that were bait worthy. Anyone know of a place in the monmouth area? You can send me a PM 

Thx

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, bunker86 said:

Try a tackle shop. Easiest bait you'll ever collect.

That would be awesome if they all sold green crabs. The one I knew of closed last year. Now I'm down to one left.

As for finding them in the wild, there were a couple spots that I've seen them in decent numbers but haven't checked back this year.

Edited by MitchellNJ

Yup. One of the small problems with saving a few pennies buying tackle online. Don't worry, Amazon will start carrying live bait soon enough. Then they'll all be gone. 

WOW, just like the fish. LOL

18 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

That would be awesome if they all sold green crabs. The one I knew of closed last year. Now I'm down to one left.

As for finding them in the wild, there were a couple spots that I've seen them in decent numbers but haven't checked back this year.

yeah the spot I usually go to had some serious slim pickings. I was turning over rocks for a while to come up with enough crabs to last me about two hours.  Mostly smaller ones too.

Trap in SR is probably your best bet for greens, go way back for fiddlers.  Not sure where you're flipping rocks, but I'm thinking you're getting asian shore crabs.   30 Minutes, 10 baits, that's how it goes sometimes when you harvest your own bait.  Maybe hit bait shop.

Posted (edited)

What kind of trap is best for these crabs? I don't think any of the local shoreline here is good, I've never found one under a rock, but there's so much backbay marsh that might work for a trap. I was thinking of modifying a minnow trap I never use by opening the holes a little.

Edited by gellfex

4 hours ago, pricise10 said:

The ones I saw on your spot burn video were Asian craps.

If you knew the spot from the video, then it familiar to you and was not a spot burn. If you are not familiar with the place then there is no way you would know which bridge I was under. Besides, these fish are around bridges and jetty's. It is no secret. Every one of them holds these fish. If you still have a problem, then send me a PM and we can discuss privately. 

18 minutes ago, EricJ said:

If you knew the spot from the video, then it familiar to you and was not a spot burn. If you are not familiar with the place then there is no way you would know which bridge I was under. Besides, these fish are around bridges and jetty's. It is no secret. Every one of them holds these fish. If you still have a problem, then send me a PM and we can discuss privately. 

Obviously you gotz lots to learn, not wasting my precious time on your goon culo. 

13 minutes ago, pricise10 said:

Obviously you gotz lots to learn, not wasting my precious time on your goon culo. 

Still drunk I see....as always.