8fishermen

Distance reel vrs regular reel?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

How much difference is there in distance between a spinning reel made for distance and one made for just fishing?  Assuming they are the same size and line capacity, how much added distance have YOU seem when using distance reels? 

On 8/31/2017 at 8:53 AM, 8fishermen said:

How much difference is there in distance between a spinning reel made for distance and one made for just fishing?  Assuming they are the same size and line capacity, how much added distance have YOU seem when using distance reels? 

There's quite a bit of difference in the distance you get from a standard reel vs. a long cast reel. Long cast reels use a worm gear drive that when reeling your line in, it stacks the line almost perfect one row just above the other. This is accomplished because the worm gear has you turning your handle many times to move the spool, usually a large spool, up and down once.  Inturn, that perfect stacking of line, comes of the spool smooth and even on the cast, less line slapping on your stripper guide, less friction overall, and a longer cast, much longer in most cases. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic idea. 

Hope this helps

Also due to the outer surface of the spool having a larger surface area, it means there is a reduced drop in line level for distance cast compared to a "standard" spool. As the line level reduces, the fiction caused by the spool lip increases, so reducing the reduction in line load= less friction=longer casting.

That being said, i dont tend to think of there being a huge difference between my long cast reels and "standard" reels, Maybe a few percent.

Suppose it depends on what huge difference is defined as.

I was intrigued as to what distances improvements I was actually getting with a standard reel vs a long cast so went outside with my 11' 1-3 rod and 2 reels filled with the same PE2 #25 braid (my braid has actual breaking strain of 25lb so would equate roughly to US 15lb braid

I left the 14' of #50 braid casting leader on both reels as I did not want to have to re rig.

I chose a small 3/4oz sinker as a test lead for both set ups

My old Sustain 6000 that has a 2.36" dia spool: consistent 280' measured.

Ultegra 5500XSA with a slightly larger 2.48" dia spool but much longer stroke and slower oscillation: consistent 315' measured.

For me that's significant. Maybe for others less so

I do think that with larger sinkers / lures the benefit is greater as they maintain momentum for longer  and thus slow down less quickly.

Edited by ZAFisher

Of course ZA's sticks have guides laid out by one of the best on SOL.

Not quite 5% diff on the spool diameters, but an 11% greater distance w/the Ultegra spool.

re larger sinkers - the best of latest USA casting event got better distance with the 150 gm over the heavier - some complicated aerodynamics (weight, surface area, etc.) involved ...

Longer spool stroke is the ticket....however there can be diminishing returns.......I get consistently better distance with the super slow oscillation of the 35mm Shimano performance management system reels (spool lip design and line lay) than I do with the 45mm spool stroke (not super slow oscillation) of the Daiwa  Basia QD45 varieties....the larger spool diameter of the Shimanos also a factor......

Thank you to all who offered info.  

ZAFisher,  what rod is the 11' 1-3 Oz?  Sound like what I am looking for.  

Frazerp, who is this rod builder you speak of? This sound like the exact rig I have be searching for.  

I would say that 11% increase is significant!  For a 3/4 Oz weight firing out to and over 100 YARDS all I can say is WOW!!!

Unfortunately can't get any more of them - was a sample blank I got from Pure Fishing here in SA.

It went on to become what they call a TecSurf; from what I can tell its a South African market only rod. (mine is not a factory rod)

A very similar sort of rod would be the Assassin Sierra 11' 1-3oz which, although quite pricey, is available in the USA.

Edited by ZAFisher

23 hours ago, 8fishermen said:

Thank you to all who offered info.  

ZAFisher,  what rod is the 11' 1-3 Oz?  Sound like what I am looking for.  

Frazerp, who is this rod builder you speak of? This sound like the exact rig I have be searching for.  

I would say that 11% increase is significant!  For a 3/4 Oz weight firing out to and over 100 YARDS all I can say is WOW!!!

I should have said designer, not builder since it was ZAFisher I was mentioning - I've done 2 AFAW blanks w/his expertise.

The 11' & 12' AFAW blanks I bought here thru SOL & they are not directly sold in the US. I did a recent google for AFAW blanks, but saw nothing, also 0 for the Assassian !!!