More Dead Fish

Rate this topic

beerdoh

Hit the ditch early this morning. Fished just east of the Sag and didn't get a tap or see anyone else in my vicinity hook up. What I did see though were numerous dead bass floating by on the west current. I assume this means they were catching further east but why all the dead fish? Upsizing? Mishandling? There were at least 10 that I saw. I can't understand why there would be so many on such a seemingly slow day. Makes me sick to see it.

The floaters I've seen were pretty stiff -- looks as if Rigor Mortis had begun to set in.

That says dumping or upsizing to me. When it's poor catch and release, you often can see at least a twitch.

They are alive, but barely.  These things were like pieces of wood.

For too many people it isn't about the fish. It's about the individual. They're not in it for the fight, or to briefly admire the creature and release it. They're in it for money, a little bit of faceboy recognition, or a combination of both. Things have really evolved over the years...

What the hell is with those plastic grippers everyone has these days? Hang a 30 pounder by it's lower jaw, take photos, return to water 5 minutes later. Won't hurt the fish, right?  Is everyone afraid to touch a fish now? Man up, grab the lower jaw, unhook, release. 

The Sultan of Sluggo

33 minutes ago, bob_G said:

Ma fishermen, esp canal fishermen have comported themselves very poorly recently. We've got plenty to be ashamed of. We really need to do better and not allow this to happen again.

i wish there was something we can do. but its the people lack morals, and knowledge. those same people will also get mad at you if you correct them or tell them the rules.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

What the hell is with those plastic grippers everyone has these days? 

I use the plastic grippers for two reasons.

1. Fish with teeth like blues and lakers. Even with grippers, I've had toothy critters take a nice bite out of my hand.

2. To control a fish better to quicken the removal of a lure or to avoid a schoolie thrashing around and embedding a hook in my hand, which unfortunately has happened to me. :)

hooked.thumb.jpg.f41451ca7284feb2ffaac5268f9e1abb.jpg.9a292c335b67fa889e6e7caa07d7cf52.jpg

finger-bite.thumb.jpg.950779723cf52ad1c36d5caf8ad3677f.jpg.2e2035d76f2c05795cc5d05b8c7bb598.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

46 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

When is the Commonwealth going to put an end to commercial striper fishing ?

After seeing how ugly that canal has gotten the last couple of years because of comm guys, I'd support a ban on the commercial season. It's only a couple of months long. I can't see anyone paying a mortgage or supporting a wife and kids on what they make from striper sales.

I very rarely purchase stripers or blues at a restaurant or a supermarket. I catch and keep enough of my own to not need to buy it. And from what I've seen of locally caught stripers and blues at some chain supermarkets, I'd much rather catch my own. At least I know it's fresh and has been handled, iced and filleted correctly.

8 minutes ago, bassturds said:

i wish there was something we can do. but its the people lack morals, and knowledge. those same people will also get mad at you if you correct them or tell them the rules.

So because you're concerned someone won't like you, you'll ignore a gross violation if the law, and lets someone flaunt it right in your face?

The Sultan of Sluggo