VaFlyAngler

Speck/albie rod build using a salmon blank.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

So I've got this idea in my head to build a 9'6 distance rod using the kr-concept for launching mirrolures and gulps for specks as well as tins and albie snax for albie from the shore / jetties. I'm looking at 2 salmon/steelhead blanks and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the blanks I'm considering as well as if this is even a good idea/concept. The blanks are St. Croix SCIII (3SC96MF2) and Rainshadow RX8 (XST1143F-TC). Both are 9'6" • fast action • med power • lure wt - SCIII - 1/4-3/4 oz. RX8 - 3/8-3/4. I'm just worried these salmon blanks might be too soft.

Thanks,

Dutch

Edited by dutchsiersema

Usualy Salmon blanks are too soft for casting  compared to a "normal" rod designed for casting. I know Rodgeeks is working on 10' telescoping FW blanks which should fit the bill for what you are looking to do, throwing such light stuff

That's exactly my concern. Another blank I'm looking at is the North Forks Composites (HS 761-2(IM). It's 9' • extra-fast action •  med power • lure wt - 1/4-3/4 oz. The old Lamiglas XMG 50 / EXS 92 M would probably work if I could get my hands on one.

I built a CTS bay caster KR in the spring that will fit this build nicely.  8' one piece but available from 8'-10'.  I test casted 1/2 oz  jigs+ that haven't landed yet.   

Talon Graphite has made a series of rod blanks for many years that may be up your alley, Menpachi fishing rod blanks, used to throw the smaller stuff off the reefs of the south pacific. 

12 to 14 ft. long however.

Edited by spoonplugger1