55555s

Your Absolute MUST HAVE lure... for SMB !

76 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2017 at 4:37 PM, YakAnglerNJ said:

If I had to pick one overall mine would be the Kalin's Lunker Grub.  But I do love my spook jr for that top water attack! :)

^^^ on a 1/4 ounce round lead head

On 1/7/2018 at 0:47 PM, linesiderdemdnj said:

I wade the upper potomac river here in MD from swains lock to Hancock in the summer and early fall. All I use are senkos, specifically smoke/purple and all black. 5/0 vmc worm hook and 5" senko with top 1/4-1/2 inch ripped off. Got a 23.5 inch smallmouth, no weight, in early September this past fall on the all black 5". Caught 3 or 4 10-12" before it and that specific fish hit it on 2 diff casts and got him on the 3rd. No pic either since I'm out there in just a bathing suit and pocket full of senkos. Lol

love this approach.  hooks and senkos...  you ever need weight?  I've been experimenting with neko style modifications using drywall screws.  Sometimes i just need them to sink faster.

7 hours ago, JahDW said:

love this approach.  hooks and senkos...  you ever need weight?  I've been experimenting with neko style modifications using drywall screws.  Sometimes i just need them to sink faster.

Sometimes I would need weight but I usually just cast a little farther up current.  It's pretty shallow in most spots. 

Drywall screws?  That sounds awesome.  Could really work while keeping the same sinking characteristics to them

I really like shallow diving crankbaits for smallies.  A larger Strike King KVD model in particular.  Can be seen in the top of the first photo.

Alex

7590C313-BCF7-47C5-B408-2900C4087A28.jpeg

A4A47F40-FD9F-4F9D-9715-DCF3A42AC06C.jpeg

Edited by korkerstud

Interesting choices I wouldn't have thought of abound in this thread. I'm a Cali lake fisherman and go after smallies as a third choice for my days fishing. First freshwater stripers with white poppers then plugs, sluggo's with leadheads and then if I catch a few smallies and nothing else I will target smallies with really bright colored poppers and plugs. I just bought a Rapala Scatter Rap 2in. 5/16th oz. in bluegill pattern that I would choose to give a long try with when I target smallies. Just wondering if anyone else picks the brightest of the bright colors for smallies?