medriver1999

Good launch spots for the Raritan Bay

35 posts in this topic

Thanks everybody. I also managed to dig a 5-year old topic "Sandy Hook kayak launch points", very comprehensive. :)

Oh, my famous treatise on the subject, complete w coordinates, instructions, warning and all, of no less than 8 spots at SH alone.

For mentioning it, will give u a bonus spot: Leonardo Marina, small beach right next to it. No fee, easy launch, safe, you can come back for a WC break. Good flookin' there, just watch what the others are doing.

Stay away from Navy weapons station peer, a 20YO kid with his hands planted on .50 cal's trigger of an RHIB that is bouncing on waves while doing 30 knots, what fun ! They get esp trigger itchy when loading munitions onto a ship.

Anyways, extra bonus still: few know, but simply mentioning you're goign to "BAY SIDE" will get you pass the SH gates free of charge, yak or not.  If you get a young & clueless guard, be polite but persistent - some of them dont know it either. You wont be given a parking tag,  are not supposed to use ocean-side parking lots and will be ticketed if you do.

In season, with yak displayed, nicer guards could give you a free parking tag, so you could park in ocean-facing (beach) parking lots, without fear of being ticketed. But, most of the time, you will need to use bay-side parking lots, of which there're some - but capacity if limited, so get there early.

So, yeah, I was given a free parking tag once they saw my kayak. I asked how it works and the person (ranger?) told me I could park on any parking except for beaches with life guards.

Also, I find parking at Guardian Park and the little beach there really nice for launching . There are tables and grills, so I could even BBQ what I caught there, I guess.

As long as you can negotiate the rox around that gem of a nano-beach, you'd be fine indeed :)

The parking tag lets you park ANYWHERE, worry free. In season, w/o a parking tag, you can only park in bay-side parking lots (of which there are very few) AND by ocean-facing "fishing beach".

With kayak, parking in ocean-facing beach lots is kind of moot. Yes, you'd be able to launch if you come early enough (surf is mild etc). But, coming back through a sea of beach goers  is simply not nice and is asking for trouble.

I just launched out of the spot you’re talking about by Leonardo marina ast weekend. I’ll definitely be back there it was pretty easy access