basenjib123

Albert?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Hoping this bait sticks around for a nice long fall run.  Due to family stuff I didn't get started on the albies last year until the last weekend of September.  This year, I've made sure I have fishing days scheduled starting end of next week.  I think they should schedule the school and sports year around albie season.  No school or sports from Mid September to Mid October.  Gives us dads more time to fish and take the kids.  Let them go to school in mid July to mid August.  Anyone remember when they started last year?

17 hours ago, notime said:

Anyone remember when they started last year?

According to my logs from last year, I could not find any FA's around Pt. Judith on Monday, September 12, but they were around the very next day, Sept 13.  

17 minutes ago, Poop Deck said:

According to my logs from last year, I could not find any FA's around Pt. Judith on Monday, September 12, but they were around the very next day, Sept 13.  

While I caught my first one of the season right on Sept 1 last year, I had seen several caught during the week and a half before that 

I was out all morning in the "point Jude" area and no sign of them. Small bass and small blues... I was getting into them pretty good last week of August last year and a year ago today was catching them consistently. 

21 hours ago, Bmawds said:

These are, without a doubt, the most frustrating fish ever

Agreed -  I spent a week out on the block last week.  Had a few chances at them.  Had two hit, one broke the hook almost immediately (a size 4 sand eel fly tied on a gamakatsu) at the bend, the other came off in two seconds.  And then on my last day had one big one follow my fly the entire way in, swiping at it three times, and then disappearing forever.  Plenty of them around.  Hope they make their way south soon.

This past Sunday, we had some albies come through a certain shore udl and for the first short while (while light conditions were still low), I got 2 with relative ease. However, as the Sun got higher, and despite their blitzing appearing to be no different than earlier, they developed lock jaw to our artificials. 

Found them yesterday, Murphy's law was in full effect. Broke two off on the fly rod almost immediately due to bad flouro which at the time I didn't realize. Lost more soft plastics and epoxy jigs than I'd like to admit while casting due to the braid having not been wound appropriately on the reel, causing knots in the spool. Looking for redemption in the next few days....any thoughts on how Jose will affect fishing?