sinfish

DOC

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

I have had great success with the DOC spook but have had a lot of "misses" with the plug.  The front treble is set back pretty far.  Anyone else notice this? 

22 minutes ago, sinfish said:

I have had great success with the DOC spook but have had a lot of "misses" with the plug.  The front treble is set back pretty far.  Anyone else notice this? 

Post a photo, of the way you fish it!

Lou T

Posted (edited)

First off I'm no expert but just give these two changes a try. Give all hooks a good sharpening and next switch to mono for one trip. Without elasticity, braid can rip top waters right out of a fishes mouth.

Edited by XBMX

47 minutes ago, Lou T said:

Post a photo, of the way you fish it!

Lou T

not sure how to post a photo of the way I fish Lou, but I jerk the rod tip down and walk the dog with this plug. 

XMBX, I'm crazy about sharp hooks.  I've not only changed the hooks about 5 times this year but I am also sharpening the hooks when needed.  I carry a file in my bag.

5 minutes ago, christopherr said:

Its all a part of the topwater game....Keep casting. 

that's what I'm chalking it up to.  I have had a bit better success lately with my Lemire's spook.  The treble is much closer to the head.

The plug is originally designed for muskie/pike in sweetwater so the forward hanger is a little further back causing some missed takes.  

This plug shines when you slow down your retrieve - might help your hook-up ratio. 

Here is my two cents on getting them to stick: try adding a little scent to the lure (anchovy or bunker oil comes to mind) I have found that sometimes the fish are attacking the top water plug out of reaction, aggression, or curiosity (is this something to eat?) and that a little scent addition can make a difference in getting them to commit. Try down sizing your DOC to a smaller walk the dog plug, like a Zara Spook in the same color, especially right after a miss on the DOC. Not in total agreement that using Braid is an issue, personally I feel that if the hook are going to stick, the non-stretch of braid is going to help plant those hooks, where the stretch of mono gives and results in a less solid hook set, when I have hooked up on braid it is instantaneous, where mono gives and don't feel the fish as quickly as the braid. The hook placement on the DOC is not the issue, as Christopher said, part of the game.

As an aside...I'm interested in the action of working the plug.  "Jerk the rod tip down" doesn't make sense to me unless you are high above water or in a boat with rod horizontal or lower.  I would have rod tip at an upward angle and either bump the tip up or sideways to impart action.  I think I'm missing something here...

45 minutes ago, blackdogfish said:

As an aside...I'm interested in the action of working the plug.  "Jerk the rod tip down" doesn't make sense to me unless you are high above water or in a boat with rod horizontal or lower.  I would have rod tip at an upward angle and either bump the tip up or sideways to impart action.  I think I'm missing something here...

you hit it on the head....I fish off a rocky coast line mostly.

5 hours ago, sinfish said:

not sure how to post a photo of the way I fish Lou, but I jerk the rod tip down and walk the dog with this plug. 

XMBX, I'm crazy about sharp hooks.  I've not only changed the hooks about 5 times this year but I am also sharpening the hooks when needed.  I carry a file in my bag.

Sorry I meant the way it was rigged. Lou

6 hours ago, DZ said:

The plug is originally designed for muskie/pike in sweetwater so the forward hanger is a little further back causing some missed takes.  

This plug shines when you slow down your retrieve - might help your hook-up ratio. 

Totally agree to slowing down the retrieve (even stopping dead at times) but as to the front hooks location, judging by the stretched out split ring and bent back hook the fish haven't had any trouble finding it so far.

Posted (edited)

You can fish topwater from now until your last days and you will miss fish. I've seen fish cartwheel out of water for metal lips being crawled on the surface and miss. I've watched big fish blitz here in jersey knock my pencil clear out of the water while breaching for it. You will miss fish regardless of hook sharpness, or how slow you retrieve or even hook placement. Do you think that 1/4" or even 1"hook placement is truly the reason? I do not. It has everything to do with how bass strike on top, and they usually roll on their side to grab a plug from the surface.... and they usually do this very fast! 

Edited by christopherr