SUP Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

MobFly

Just wondering if anyone in this group has taken up fly fishing from an SUP? I started this season on a Boardworks Badfisher and it has opened my eyes to accessing new fishing areas. They are super stable and can be paddled almost anywhere. 

Yes I bought an inflatable SUP this year and sold my Kayak.  It is amazing for the east coast striper thing especially sightfishing.  Sadly I dislocated my shoulder 2 months ago so i have not been able to use it recently.  It is so great to use, good fishing, great workout, and the wife and kid like it!

I bought a Hala Fame inflatable

I fish off mine quite a bit.  Not sure what the draw is to add an expensive and heavy cooler and all the other gadgets... looks cool on instragram i guess.   Not knocking you, but its a lot of **** to lug around that you probably don't really need.    It weighs down your board and really limits your ability to move around and re position for casting in different directions and provides clutter to catch your line on.   There is a reason flats boats have clean empty decks.. 

I keep it simple with a rod, a small dry bag lashed to the bow with some spare tackle, water and a snack in it and a small kayak anchor to keep me in one spot if the wind picks up tied to the ankle loop on the rear of the board.

I've used both an inflatable and fiberglass SUP, and do not like the inflatable SUPS.  They don't track well, are not as stable and seem to be a lot slower in my opinion.  Of course they are much easier to store if space is a concern

any recommendations on size, i.e. length, width, thickness?

I would think the cooler acts as a seat to sit or a platform to elevate. and obviously store beverages/fish. the rod holder seems necessary in my opinion. I used a sup a while ago and found it painful to switch from oar to rod smoothly when I had the rod laying on the board

I've been fishing and filming from an SUP for four years, and it's turned into just about the only way I enjoy fishing. I've not fished from a yak, but any time I see pedals, seats, and all the other gadgets, I can feel my inner line getting tangled on everything. Yup, it's a great tool for sight fishing, and I love it for albie fishing, too. I use a 12' Bote HD, and have all but given up on my 10'6" inflatable.

The switch from paddle to rod is still not smooth for me either, and unless I sit down and try to solve it, it will always be a determining factor in getting a shot at a fish. My actual favorite form of site fishing is paddling to a place where waders can't really fish, and putting down an 8' ladder. The perspective from a ladder is just that much better, it's totally stable, and you're holding the rod the whole time...and I can snap a basket around the top to hold the line.

For albie fishing, SUP's are awesome and frustrating. Frustrating when you're constantly just out of reach, but awesome when it works out...and it works out A LOT.

I've finally made real progress on editing a video, and will be releasing it after this season is over. I've got about 13minutes pretty much finished, and just waiting to get another Fall on the books to fill in some gaps. The footage is mainly from the boards, and ladder, and there's a segment dedicated just to albies on the SUPs. Now that I finally got a drone, there will be better perspectives of the whole thing, too. That was the missing piece that has pushed the project into the final stretches.

These are the boards I use:

BOards.thumb.jpg.97bb22773e10b49c2e92115b0dce609e.jpg

Here's the ladder/board set-up:

DJI-Laddershot.thumb.png.e3826d7577fd2785febd9e4eab527dcb.png

Here's the board with camera boom:

599db9d80053b_BoardSetup.MTS-00000.thumb.jpg.d7a7137187507a1f7a61dc55fbfad981.jpg

Here's a cool thing that would be hard to see any other way:

MPod2.thumb.jpg.85079263b66e07876e310677ba963a87.jpg

And here's the only thing I've been thinking about for the last two weeks:

599dba72510ce_P1070555.MOV-00000.thumb.jpg.65ef1f6d528564242a158def543fd453.jpg

I bought a KAKU KAHUNA for all around calm water fishing down in Florida. Great to fly fish from and super stable. They are kind of like a kayak / paddleboard hybrid. Ive even taken mine out to the reef off the beach and gone diving for lobster (paddled out with all my dive gear / cooler / ice / anchor etc... just fine). Definitely opens up a lot of possibilities.