Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Freedom

Braided line.....what am I doing wrong?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I took all of my spinning reels to a local shop and have them put braided line on them. Why does the line always get knotted up? Sometimes it comes off in a birds nest as well, why is this happening?

The most likely culprit is a loose loop of line over the spool.

Whe you cast and flip the bail, look at the spool. Is any line running accross the spools front?

If it is, DO NOT REEL!!

When this loop is trapped under the line you spool on the reel after the cast, it gets pulled off during the next cast. The problem is, it comes off the spool near the beginning of the cast and now you have three strands of line coming off the spool. A real mess and a good bit of $$ down the tubes. Always check for this and give a little tug on the line (in the dark) before you start to reel.

it "comes off in a bird's nest" because you had a loop in your spool before you cast, to begin with.

After you cast, flip the bail, and then strip a few inches of braid with your left hand. If it comes off smooth that means you have no loop and your line is coming off the line roller as it should be.

I fish braid on spinning with just a bit less line on the spool than mono.

Works great for me.

Spigola

I always thought you were fishing with a bit less line biggrin.gif

Thanks... Forgot to mention to fill the spool only to about 1/8" from spool lip, unless you live dangerously cwm27.gif