Pointguardu

What are the chances? Same catfish

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Last weekend my girlfriend caught a catfish. She's only gone fishing a couple times. This was the biggest fish she ever caught. I had her use my Dads old cane fishing pole. Anyways I have caught a lot of channel catfish on the Potomac river. I don't know if it's the bay but it seems like some of the cats that I have caught on Aberdeen Creek which is right off the south river have irregularly large mouths. I posted a picture of the catch on instagram and a few minutes later I realized that I had posted a picture of another catfish with a big mouth on instagram exactly 4 years earlier at the same exact spot my neighbors dock. I thought it was amazing that the conicedence of catching a catfish on August 6th 2013 and August 6th 2017! Could it be the same fish? They both had irregularly large mouths. Unfortunately I only have one old picture from instagram but the first fish was all mouth and no body. Let me know what y'all think. Could it be the same fish? 

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0841.PNG

IMG_0977.PNG

Edited by Pointguardu

They would not be the same fish, the fish you caught from 4 years ago would be significantly bigger by now.

While channel catfish can vary greatly in regards to mouth size, I believe what your girl friend actually caught is a species of bullhead (a white catfish to be more specific), which have mouths that are consistently large for their size verse the typical mouth size of a channel catfish of similar length and weight.

Agreed that fish would have grown. Weird stuff does happen though. About a dozen or so years ago my father, brother and I were fishing the Miracle Mile in Wyoming. Dad hooks up with a heathy rainbow and ends up popping his tippet. As he is leaving the hole he off handed tells my brother to get his fly back. Twenty minutes or so later my brother has moved into the same hole and lands a healthy rainbow with my Old mans purple cone head bugger square in the jaw hinge. No foolin.

I’m florida I hooked up and got bitten off on a very fast moving plug. I tied a new one on, and twenty minutes later a small Cuda follows the plug all the way to my feet...with my other plug still in his mouth. But I think that cat would have been at least double that size for a 4 year old.