pending

2500-4000 size reels

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I have read through 30+ pages of forums in both the kayak and main forum and can't find what I'm looking for.

Seems like you guys are mainly reviewing larger reels 5k and up. From what I gather and probably wrong the same model reel is designed differently between smaller vs larger sizes. 

Im looking for light inshore reels in the 2500-4000 sizes that are splashable. Will be paired with 7'6" avid inshore rods ML-MH. Looking to spend less than $200 per reel. Want these reels to last multiple seasons.

I typically spend 3-5 days camping on the beach so my reels don't get rinsed daily. Might take about a week before they get rinsed. 

Was originally thinking cheaper penn battles 2 but after reading reviews on here I've changed my mind. I've had older stradics (10 years or so) not sure of the model that only lasted a season and if they got splashed began seizing up within hours. Haven't used Daiwas. 

Please advise. Thanks guys. 

I have a Penn Battle 2 4000 that I've been using for 3 years now without any issues. I do tend to rinse my reels off well after every use though. Why not bring a jug of water with you while camping to rinse the reels? Check out the Diawa BG reels. I purchased one last year for surf fishing (4500) and it's probably the best bang for your buck. For your rod, a BG 3000 or 3500 would probably pair nicely. 

I have a 2500 and a 4000 Penn Clash couldn't be happier with them, they get splashed and rarely dunked but keep on rolling along. Washed off and line roller oiled every use. I also have a 4000 Stradic FK Shimano says don't oil the roller just send it in. I don't use it much. 

Not sure what you read about the Battle 2's but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot for those or the first generation Conflict which are discontinued now and can be had cheaply online. Probably my favorite reel right now is the Quantum Boca for under $150. Absolutely love these reels. All reels are splash-able. How well they hold up is a different story. The Bocas, Battle 2 and Conflict all can take a splash and more importantly can take a hosing down after use with no ill effect. Lube the main gear housing half way through the season and your good to go. I just want to say something about reviews. You have to read them objectively. The Battle 2 for some users carries the negativity of the first generation Battle reel. Of all the line and wind knot issue with that reel, durability was not one of them as was the same in the Sargus that was really the very first gen Battle reel if you followed that reel along the way.. Right now, I don't think there is a better reel for the money. I would put it up against any other reel in it's range and up to $150. It's really a great value. All metal, HT100 drag, now all sealed bearings, parts availability, braid ready spool, smooth waterproof drag etc. You got easy access to Tony (Penn) right here on SOL in the Penn forum if you have an issue or questions.

That said - if money was burning a hole in my pocket, I would probably look at the Clash or if I could wait, the Conflict 2 which have the machined gears and supposed to be lighter. For the extra money if can swing it, the better gears may give you piece of mind. It looks like you can guy 3 battle 2's for the same price of 2 clash reels. That would be up to you. Personally, I like the value you get with the Battle2.

I indicated that I really like the Boca's and right now that is my favorite reel. This is largely due to the sizing of the Penn Battle 2's. The Boca comes in a 50 size 14.5 ish oz and that size reel I use heavily. If Penn made a Battle 2 4500 size, there probably would not be another reel hanging on my wall.

Currently fishing two Stradic FK's, one 3000 and one 4000. Both have taken plenty of fish on them. Splashed plenty in the kayak. Just keep them clean, they will truck along.

I've fished the Penns a lot in that size and prefer the Conflict the best(even more then the Clash.) I think they're the best bang for your buck and the new one coming out this fall seems really nice too.

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

If you get a reel splashed with saltwater and don't appropriately take care of it, it will not last.

+1

If you stay on the beach for 3-5 days without leaving, just how much fresh water do you bring with you?

If you used SupeLube (FDA approved for food service) you could rinse your reels before you drank the water. You need to replace your electrolytes anyways and Sea Salt is touted as the best!:laugh:

Or, you might consider a small Alvey. No real moving parts except the greased shaft.

I always wondered why there wasn't a very small "Alvey".

Edited by bunnymoney

2 hours ago, Bogey said:

I have a 2500 and a 4000 Penn Clash couldn't be happier with them, they get splashed and rarely dunked but keep on rolling along. Washed off and line roller oiled every use. I also have a 4000 Stradic FK Shimano says don't oil the roller just send it in. I don't use it much. 

I have these 2 as well and am very happy with them. I have fished the 4000 a lot this year. I put the Slammer 3 knob on it once the slammer parts became available and now its my favorite light spin reel.  I have a stradic FJ that sits in the closet now after the rubber handle disintegrated. 

QUite a few guys here use the gosa/ spheros 5k on that same rod.  For exactly what your using it for   The most splash proof reel there is for the money (until the Tsunami shield gets proven over time)  I really like the gosa sw...and the spheros available stateside is 95% gosa.  If you can deal with the 15ounce weight.  I think that's your best bet

It's not jsut the seals that make them nice reels.  They lay line / braid beautifully.  ANd are durable while being buttery smooth (if that matters)

Gosa      http://amzn.to/2x5bRlp

Spheros  http://amzn.to/2w2yR7G

The shimano nasci  http://amzn.to/2i6gjOe has seals in it's sideplate  at the pinion and main shaft....Not too much feedback in terms of how they handle salt + h2o though...never owned or put any time on one either.

The BG is a tank but offers no sealing what so ever.....I look at it as a replacement for the old saragosa.

http://amzn.to/2w2E3bL

Edited by scoobydoo

Thanks to all for replying. Decisions. Decisions. Always very hard for me to decide. Should just tell my wife to decide for me. Sure I can't go wrong with any of your suggestions. May try one of each. 

2500 Battle 2 on my ML

3000 Clash on my M

4000 FK for my MH

Then based on my own experience after using all three I can make future purchases of these reels. 

3 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I have a Penn Battle 2 4000 that I've been using for 3 years now without any issues. I do tend to rinse my reels off well after every use though. Why not bring a jug of water with you while camping to rinse the reels? Check out the Diawa BG reels. I purchased one last year for surf fishing (4500) and it's probably the best bang for your buck. For your rod, a BG 3000 or 3500 would probably pair nicely. 

Like your idea about bringing a jug of water and rinse daily. Thinking I can bring a five gallon bucket with lid to rinse with.