Johnnyjigs

Best steamers?

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Oh man, don't all of those look good. I can get a day permit fairly cheap from the town, to go digging here in the flats, 10 min. from home. I've seen it done, but I've never done it. Got a bad back, and it looks like it would be a back breaker, but I want to try.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:39 PM, zak-striper said:

I love them as well! Littlenecks and quahogs!  One of my favorite meals is little neck clams with white clam sauce.  Although, I make white clam sauce with shaved asparagus or with zucchini & yellow squash noodles instead of linguini. :)

If it's from the ocean I love it and I eat it! :)

I'll thrown little necks or quahogs right on the grill then eat them once they pop open. I also like clams from the raw bar at a restaurant. Fortunately I don't have any seafood allergies.

Look very tasty?  The one thing about the hogs is that you don't get a sandy one.  I love them. all ways. 

19 hours ago, snv1950 said:

I agree with the last two replies......My dad always told me to never boil steamers!!! Always use beer, watch your broth, and make steam only! works for us!

If your ever in the Fitchburg area, SS Lobster has an extensive seafood menu. Prices are right, and the food is good. Not the prettiest place in the world, but it'l do.

I grew up in Templeton, we have been going there for years.

Cabo

23 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Ironically, Herbie's in Worcester has excellent seafood at very good prices. Working in New Bedford has spoiled me as far as quality and price but ole' Herbies is a great place. 

Herbie's. My old stompin grounds.   They make a great grilled pizza there too.

Good steamers are found on the Cape.  Great steamers are found on the North Shore.  Sorry, had to stoke the fire.  Clam Shack at the Salem Willows, Sea Level in Salem or Newburyport, Lobster Pool in Rockport, and the list goes on.  Funny thing about the famous spots in the heart of Ipswich/Essex, most of them only focus on fried clams and don't offer steamers.  Woodmen's does but that place is too crowded for my taste.

Why anyone would order steamers at a restaurant, take a chance on quality and the chef, and pay 3-4 times more for them when they are so easy to make at home is beyond me. Lots of other good things to spend you money on when you eat out than steamers......... ;)

4 minutes ago, Steve in Mass said:

Why anyone would order steamers at a restaurant, take a chance on quality and the chef, and pay 3-4 times more for them when they are so easy to make at home is beyond me. Lots of other good things to spend you money on when you eat out than steamers......... ;)

I feel the same way Steve.  Buy them fresh, bring home, steam them, melt butter, make a mess. Who cares, you're home. And it costs half as much as a restaurant.

After 4 pages you guys got me really hankering for some steamers now.  :drool:

I have a top quality seafood market within walking distance of my crib. 

I'll put that on my to-do list for the AM.

30 minutes ago, bob_G said:

I feel the same way Steve.  Buy them fresh, bring home, steam them, melt butter, make a mess. Who cares, you're home. And it costs half as much as a restaurant.

I guess I may be spoiled. I dig my own and know exactly how long they've been out of the beach. Other than that find a shop that can you trust. Restaurant nope.

See, now, fried whole belly clams, if I knew the place was good and they weren't outrageously priced, those I would get out. I have made them at home a number of times, and while I don't mind doing it, it is sorta a pain in the ass between prepping the clams (I gotta start with steamers in the shell, as I have no local source of cleaned soft shell whole belly clams), making the batter, and then cleaning up the deep fry oil afterwards.

I do it ever so often, but it has to be a day when I have some time.

Posted (edited)

One of my very favorite topics.  My access to digible soft shells changes with the season.  I remember driving my BRG (British Racing Green)  MGB up through Ipswich and Rowley on 1A or was it rt. 133 and clams were sold by the quart for maybe $1.50 - $1.80 tops. Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

101steamers.jpg

emptyshells.jpg

Edited by JohnDe

On 8/15/2017 at 8:56 AM, PaddyCrabby said:

For me the best steamers come from the mud flats in Maine or Ipswich.  Cook them yourself for best value and taste.  Never boil.

My BIL just brought me back some from the mud flats Maine....... Delicious! 

On 8/15/2017 at 2:05 PM, zak-striper said:

Speakin' of Worcester, I'll occasionally stop by Ronnie's for some whole belly fried clams when I fish at Wachusett. :)

My son works at ronnies, very impressed with the extent of cleaning they do and its every night they do it.. 

5 hours ago, Cabo2005 said:

I grew up in Templeton, we have been going there for years.

Cabo

yeah not the nicest looking place but great seafood. I haven't tried there fried stuff yet just the lobsters and steamers.