Johnnyjigs

Best steamers?

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Have some family coming up from Florida that want a good steamer feed. Where is your favorite place cape cod area?

Posted (edited)

You are likely better off just taking a little ride (about 20 minutes up 495 from Middleboro) and buying a boatload at $3.99/lb and steaming them yourself. They will be much better, and you will have a lot more for what you are gonna pay in a Restaurant or the $6-$7/lb you will pay most other seafood markets.

If you get lucky, they may even be cheaper than that, have seen them not too long ago $2.99/lb. And they are super fresh from Maine.

Edited by Steve in Mass

22 hours ago, mybosox3 said:

Besides my house...

Exactly!

The best steamers I have are at my house! :)

I steam them in equal parts water & (good) beer. I add garlic, potato, onion, corn on the cob, sometimes some springs of rosemary & thyme. This all goes in a big pot. The broth is so good it could be used as a stock for fish or clam chowder. I like sipping this broth on it's own, after I strain it.

One of my pet peeves with seafood restaurants is when they serve your clams with a cup of boiling water, not broth. Effing Philistines! :)

20170808_190021.jpg

Zac - Sounds good, but gotta ask/point this out. With all that stuff in the pot, by the time it is cooked thru (especially the potatoes), I would think the clams would be way over cooked.

My method is, about an inch of water in the bottom of a stainless steel pot with tight fitting lid. Add the steamers, put the burner on high with the lid on. DO NOT WALK AWAY! 

When it almost boils over (this why you don't walk away), Lift the lid, blow on the steam until it subsides, and then put the lid back on. When it does the same thing again, turn off the heat, melt your butter, and then the clams are done. Drain the juice into a cup, the butter in another cup, and start dipping......... Depending on the amount and size of the pot, perhaps 5 minutes total cooking time.

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

You are likely better off just taking a little ride (about 20 minutes up 495 from Middleboro) and buying a boatload at $3.99/lb 

At what place, Steve?

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Steve in Mass said:

Zac - Sounds good, but gotta ask/point this out. With all that stuff in the pot, by the time it is cooked thru (especially the potatoes), I would think the clams would be way over cooked.

Never over cooked. The corn, potatoes and onions go in first. I drop them into boiling water/beer. Then the steamers go on top. After a few minutes I'll turn the corn 1/2 way so it cooks evenly and stir up everything else to make sure the rest cooks evenly.  A few minutes later it's all done. I cut the potatoes into small chunks so they don't need a lot of time to cook.

I keep an eye on the pot because I can't stand when the pot foams up and boils over. It makes a mess of the stove and stinks up the kitchen. Once it starts to foam up, I turn the temp down a bit and crack the lid.

The broth is so good that it's worth the effort I put into timing everything correctly. :)

Edited by zak-striper