FlyingFish78

New to Hampton

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Just moved to Hampton a few weeks ago. Today was the first time I had to the opportunity to fish North Beach at sunrise. Tide was very low. However, did not see much and had no luck but a beautiful sunrise.

I've spent the last 30 years fishing 'The Triangle' in Long Island Sound, all from boat... Time to learn something new. Not sure if I want to bring my 21' C/C here, so I figured I try the surf casting to start. Any advice would be appreciated to get me started. Or perhaps you wouldn't mind a tag along?

Thanks in advance! -FF

Can't comment specifically about Hampton, but as a former Pt Jeff/Mt Sinai boy, I can sure comment on the differences between these parts and LIS...

1. Bass here hang MUCH closer to the shore than on LI, rarely more than a couple of 100 yds off the shore, so forget the bunker chunking out at C13.  Not sure why this is, but my thought is that the greater depths close to shore are the reason.  You can easily be in > 100 ft of water a decent cast off of a shore line.  Most bait-related bass fishing from boats involves live lining mackerel or "turds", harbor pollock.  

2. Bass much smaller up here, especially up where I am in Maine.  We're the northern fringe of their range and the majority of big girls don't seem to want to move any further north than MA.

3. We have no where near the variety found in LIS.  Stripers, mackerel and harbor pollock are about it for inshore, although you can always catch, but not keep, and codfish too.  Friend in Portsmouth catches the odd sea bass on specific years and some flounder too, but forget weaks, blacks, fluke, porgies (up here pogie = bunker).  Cunners (bergalls) much bigger up here so keep 'em for filleting, close to blackfish in flavor.

4. Good news is that tuna and shark come in much closer so you've always got that potential entertainment, your 21' CC is a perfect boat for all boat fishing, offshore tuna/shark, offshore groundfishing and inshore bass/mackerel fishing.  Get her up here!!!  Just make sure you've got the latest maps in your GPS, navigational aids (buoys) are few and far between.  Up by me most ledges ARE NOT marked at all.  AAMOF because of the many ledges you may want to consider trading in the SS prop for an aluminum one.  When, not if, you hit a ledge ripping off an aluminum prop blade is better than internal engine drive mechanism damage because of an unyielding SS prop.

5. Tide is massive, on the most extreme moon tides I see a 14' differential between high and low tide.  It won't be as extreme in Hampton, but it will be double digits for sure.

6.  Be careful at night, there are lobster traps all over the place just waiting to foul your prop.  The good news is that the bass here bite just about any time.  Tide and boat traffic critical items, and of course dawn/dusk are still the magic hours, but their willingness to feed during the mid-afternoon, eliminates the need to be boating at night trying to catch.

7.  Boat traffic and fishing pressure far less than you're used to.  For me, and I'm up a ways, seeing another boat fishing is extremely unusual even on a July 4th weekend Sunday afternoon.  The average fisherman fishes far less intensely than you're used to on LI.  For example, if you say you pound and chum for flounder the average person around here will scratch their head and say "What are you talking about?"

8. You can directly transfer any harbor/estuary bass fishing knowledge from LI to NH/ME.  If you could find them back up in Northport/Lloyd's Harbor, you'll do fine in any harbor/estuary here.  Tube and worm trolling a proven winner here, but I stick with old school SINKING poppers like a CC Striper Strike, the new fangled floating ones will get the initial swirl, but they don't come back to grab it because it didn't sink down after the attack.

And that's it in a nutshell...

I'd spend some time just driving up 1A and checking out where people are fishing the rocks and when. Even between where you were and the North Hampton line there are some good spots that are much easier to fish with that resident parking pass. That's a thinly veiled hint for ya...

Thank you very much for the info! I tried again yesterday morning, a little bit further up like you said. The tide was just dead low. So I'd like to try again with a little more water.

i attached a picture of my ride. I'll bring her up for next season. For now I'll keep attacking the beach.

IMG_0651.JPG

Edited by FlyingFish78

Make some more posts and once you can received PMs I'll shoot ya some thoughts on spots. Just pulled over for a few casts and found some willing participants though the traffic was maddening...

sunrise the bass have been pushing the pogies right to the shoreline in your area for several weeks now. I feel like I am back in NJ where I grew up fishing pogie schools in June. 

Once there is light bust out the binoculars and start looking for boats. When you see boats close to the shore that is a good sign there are bass pushing the pogies in. The bass get full by 8 am or so and go offshore to deep structure and do the same thing again at sunset. 

In that situation are you fishing plugs or bait? FYI Tried last night in North Hampton and got weeded out. Are you talking about Bunker, what's a Pogie?!?! Haha! Anyway, I'm gonna keep trying!

yes bunker - new Englanders call them pogies 

I have caught bass on pogies schools from shore and boat with tsunami deep shads (4.5 oz) as well as big 3 oz wood plugs. The other shore option is the snag and drop. 

Hi Folks,

I'm in a similar situation as the OP.  Just started fishing Hampton/Seabrook beach but no boat.  I'm looking for some decent places to find some stripers.   I am walking distance to the Hampton Underwood Bridge.

Is it worth casting off the public beach (across from the mains strip/bars) at night?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:23 PM, stormy monday said:

Even between where you were and the North Hampton line there are some good spots that are much easier to fish with that resident parking pass. That's a thinly veiled hint for ya...

Could this be Ocean and AH?

Thank you in advance!

You'll need more posts to get PMs, can't post things as detailed as street names here. I will tell you though that I've had many exceptional outings within walking distance of your house. My post is from August - at that time of year I never go there, not because the fishing is bad but because of the traffic. Since you live there that's not an issue for you. Unless you're bored I see no reason you ever need to get into a car to go fishing!

Thank you for the reply.  I have mostly fished the Merrimac in Newburyport and Lawrence with Mackeral / Herring.  But that was years ago. 

Looking forward to finding some spots.  

A friend of mine recommended I try the Sebile Magic Swimmer and Savage Gear Sand Eel.  But he is in MASS.  Ever try these in Hampton?  Any luck?