mikeR09

How to keep braid soft?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Is there a way to keep braid's surface soft for longer? maybe it's all in my head, but i feel that braid casts better when its new and has soft surface but not as good when used and the surface softness goes away. i feel it more when casting lighter lures than when casting heavier ones. i reverse the braid to get the softness again but then what? any tips for keeping the original feel of the braid longer? 

Kvd line conditioner helps put some slickness back into worn in braid but it does not last, has to re-applied every trip so it can be expensive to use. Just curious what braid your using, most of the time braid gets softer and limper with age. Personally I prefer the feel of power pro or 832 after its been used for a few months over fishing with brand new line. 

Your right, i used the wrong word. not soft, smooth is a better word. about every braid i use feels smooth on the surface then it becomes rougher to the feel. like the difference between a waxed floss and non waxed one. i saw line conditioners but your right they will not be very economical to use. 

I don't remember where, but I read an article on putting rain-× on line. The concept was to use it as a cheap floatant coating on fly lines but a by-product was leaving the line slicker which increased casting distance. Wonder if it would work as a way to re-coat worn braid?

18 hours ago, mikeR09 said:

Is there a way to keep braid's surface soft for longer? maybe it's all in my head, but i feel that braid casts better when its new and has soft surface but not as good when used and the surface softness goes away. i feel it more when casting lighter lures than when casting heavier ones. i reverse the braid to get the softness again but then what? any tips for keeping the original feel of the braid longer? 

I don't use braided line but,perhaps some Teflon spray would help,,makes stuff slick and it keeps stuff from sticking to other stuff and it repels water.

when I used to fish for trout,I would spray the line with it to get the extra distance for casting to trout that would spook if you moved too close.

it worked very well. 

H-H

Lighter lures were never good casters. Don't know what # test ya using, but that makes a difference. But what is more important with light lures is the rod. 

Braid is braid, been using it for many years now and like it better when that "slick" is gone. But I use round baitcasters and conventionals. :howdy: