jsanfilippo5

Suburban rod storage

12 posts in this topic

I just picked up a 2002 suburban. Looking to take it out on the beach for the first time soon - but in the mean time I'm looking for some rod storage ideas. I have ski racks I can put on the top but the height of the truck makes it awkward to get to.

anyone have any cleaning looking setups inside ??

thanks!!!

If you have a suburban forget about the top of the roof and keep them inside where they are safe.  Here is what I did with my 1999 suburban with 2 pieces of furring strips, a few zip ties, plastic coat hanger and velcro.  I can store (2) 10" poles straight down the center and I have no interference with passengers as long as nobody sits in the rear middle seat.  

20170702_154236.jpg

20170702_154224.jpg

20170702_154217.jpg

8 hours ago, lisurfexplorer said:

If you have a suburban forget about the top of the roof and keep them inside where they are safe.  Here is what I did with my 1999 suburban with 2 pieces of furring strips, a few zip ties, plastic coat hanger and velcro.  I can store (2) 10" poles straight down the center and I have no interference with passengers as long as nobody sits in the rear middle seat.  

20170702_154236.jpg

20170702_154224.jpg

20170702_154217.jpg

That looks awesome - thanks for sharing

2004 tahoe- close enough! I wanted the front hooks to be adjustable due to people's heads in the back seats. This is the 4th SUV that I've put something similar in. The top rack will hold 9' and the bottom left will hold 11'

IMG_6496.JPG

Edited by BFThunter

there are some good ideas posted so far. Here is a another that could work for you. It allows you to carry 11 foot rods with top of the rod sitting on dashboard. Strap a bungy cord between the front headrest so you can rest the top of seven foot rods on the bungy cord. This design is not permanent but is very stable and allows you to remove and install in seconds.

IMG_0564.JPG

installation on my 4-runner, but should work on your Suburban, assuming you have hanger hooks in the back and either hanger hooks of passenger grab bars by the rear seats. come as a set, they are Sur-Lock rod hangers.

0818161308a.jpg

0818161310b.jpg

Stackable crates were acquired thru work years ago at the worlds largest cosmetics company based in France.  They say SSI Schafer, EF6241 for the large and EF4221for the small.  The large holds 11 of the Plano 3700 boxes.  I made the covers to thwart prying eyes.